Editor, Humboldt Historian Journal
Humboldt County Historical Society
Posted: Feb. 8, 2019
Editor for the Humboldt Historian and the Humboldt County Historical Society
The Humboldt Historian is the journal and face of the HCHS and is sent to members four times a year. Members and local historians contribute fascinating stories covering the history of Northern California and the quality of the magazine has consistently improved over the years. The editor is a part time employee of the Board of Directors and the salary is 18 to 20 thousand dollars a year based upon experience.
Editor Duties: Plan each issue of the Humboldt Historian. Obtain and create content for the Historian, including: editing articles and working closely with authors to make submissions ready for publication, which will include obtaining photographs, maps, or other visuals from contributors, as well as photo caption information (names and dates) and author bios for first-time contributors. The editor also creates content for On the Cover, Editor’s Note, Announcements, etc., and edits letters and obituaries as needed. The editor keeps an eye out for good articles and cover images.
Additional Editor Duties:
• Solicit stories when needed and publish four issues of the Humboldt Historian each year in a timely manner.
• Other additional duties may include providing publicity for the HCHS for monthly library programs and other special events as needed.
Minimum Qualifications: Demonstrated experience in editing a periodical and meeting deadlines.
• Demonstrated writing abilities, including solid essay writing skills as well as skill in narrative writing.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Experience in layout.
• Experience in using InDesign so layout is “camera ready” for the printer.
• Working knowledge of Photoshop or other photo-editing software.
• Interest and knowledge of Humboldt County history.
• Send an email to email@example.com with attached PDF of the following
• Letter of interest
• Three contacts for references
• Examples of previous writing
Application Deadline: March 6th, 2019
Phone: (707) 445-4342
Web Page: https://www.humboldthistory.org/