Lost Coast Communications
Posted: July 21, 2020
Lost Coast Communications, Inc. is seeking a News Reporter for the Lost Coast Outpost news website. This position requires that you can work a news beat with an eye toward finding interesting, compelling, and important stories.
About the company:
Founded in 1996, Lost Coast Communications is setting the standard for innovative radio and digital media nestled in the Victorian Village of Ferndale, California. Our success comes from our deep commitment to Humboldt County in combination with our superior production and service. We are hyper-local: locally owned, involved throughout the community, and dedicated to serving our listeners, our readers, and our advertisers.
Our various properties include local radio stations KHUM, KWPT “The Point”, KSLuG, KLGE “The Lounge” as well as our online news services the Lost Coast Outpost and the Wild Rivers Outpost. We are the voice of Humboldt County, and we pride ourselves on our record of service to this beautiful place.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Produce clean, conversational writing -preferably in a variety of different registers, depending on the story’s requirements.
- Conduct interviews in person, over the phone, through email or other forms of communication
- Gather and check facts
- Take a satisfactory photograph
- Some nights and weekends possible
- Answer the office phone
- Assist guests who enter the office
- High School diploma or equivalent. Education or experience in journalism or related field preferred
- Possess a valid CA driver’s license
- Proof of auto insurance coverage
- Ability to operate a personal computer and smart phone
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Strong grasp of grammar and punctuation
- Ability to take direction
- Have solid interpersonal skills
Preferred Knowledge of:
- Humboldt County area
- Basic HTML
- Second language, preferably Spanish
Deadline to apply is August 12th
How to Apply:
Email: resume, cover letter, and clips to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Coast Communications, Inc.
P.O. Box 25
Ferndale, CA 95536
Lost Coast Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or another characteristic protected by law.