Saturday, May 25’s Lowdown
Last year was the 50th annual. This year, to keep you invested we guess, they’re promoting it as the 50th anniversary of the Kinetic Grand Championship. Why, you clever rascals. Whatever.
Anyway, if you are somehow uninitiated as to how this thing works, sorry, we’re not going to decipher all the weird lore for you again, here — we’ll instead direct you to the KGC website with the hopes that the Kinetic Universe has done their job and you’ll be able to absorb some sense of what the hell this is, there.
Real quick, as far as Saturday goes there are two things worth knowing more than all the other things:
- Get the to the Arcata Plaza! The start of the race is easily the most concise chance to see all the sculptures up close before they are destroyed by sand, water and (not) fire. The race officially starts at the Arcata noon whistle. LoCO generally recommends that you arrive around 10:30 a.m. Again, check the KGC Spectator’s Guide if you want tips on how to watch sculptures travel through the dunes, down Dead Man’s Drop and on to Halvorsen Park.
- Pictures are coming! LoCO will be providing you your 2019 Kinetic Sculpture field guide! Sometime not-too-long after the start of the race check back in with us for a complete visual list of this year’s klass of kontraptions. More on that when we get it up. (Spoiler: It’ll look like last year’s koverage.)
OK. The 50th! Again! Here we go! —Andrew Goff
See Event Description / 6 a.m.
Community members run the 200 miles between the mouth of the Klamath and Iron Gate Dam, with festivities along the way.
Arcata Farmers’ Market
Arcata Plaza / 9 a.m.-2 p.m. / Free
Open during Kinetics! This market features the finest locally grown seasonal produce, plants, artisan food products and so much more.
441-9999 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site /
Arcata Plaza / 10 a.m.
Day 1 of the Kinetic Grand Championship starts on the Plaza in Arcata, California at the noon whistle every Memorial Day weekend. The racers take off to the Manila dunes, where they race through miles of sand to the great and inevitable “Deadman’s Drop”. Then on to Eureka’s downtown gazebo.
Web site /
Ferndale Repertory Theatre / 8 p.m. / $18 / $16 students/seniors
Sophie and Sky’s Greek island wedding sounds like absolute perfection, but there’s only one thing missing: a father to give away the bride. Mom had three suitors back in the day, so what’s a daughter to do but invite all three exes to the wedding and do a little light sleuthing?
Web site /
North Coast Repertory Theatre / 8-11 p.m. / $18 / $16 Students/Seniors / 18+
The Musical That Redefined Broadway! American author Cliff Bradshaw discovers the seedy underbelly of 1931 Berlin when he finds himself in a relationship with British dancer Sally Bowles, performer at the Kit Kat Klub. Suggested for ages 18+
442-6278 / email@example.com / Web site /
Carlo Theatre (Dell’Arte) / 8-9 p.m. / $5 / $15 Suggested Donation / $10 Suggested Donation
The Dell’Arte International School of Physical Theatre presents Thesis Festival 2019, featuring four groundbreaking new works of theatre created by this year’s graduating MFA class.
668-5663 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site /
See Event Description / 1-3:30 a.m. / $40 / 21+
Web site /
Yard and Plant Sale: Humboldt Mediation Services’ annual fundraiser
See Event Description / 9 a.m.-3 p.m. / Free
Home goods, furniture, cookware, crafting, books, art, movies, jewelry, crystals, and plants of all kinds!
445-2505 / email@example.com / Web site /
Om Shala Yoga / 9:15-10:15 a.m. / $10
A slower paced class that makes space for tuning in and cultivating a softening of the breath, body, mind, and heart.
362-1001 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site /
The Miniplex at Richards’ Goat Tavern / 9:30-1:30 a.m. / Free / 21+
For over 20 years DJM has practiced the art of DJing. You will be Rocking with the best!
616-4596 / email@example.com / Web site /
Sanctuary Forest / 10 a.m.-1:30 p.m. / Free
This easy to moderate hike is an opportunity for participants to learn more about our native plants and how to identify them!
986-1087 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site /
Alchemy Distillery / 1-7 p.m. / Free
822-8913 / Alchemydistillery@gmail.com / Web site /
Humboldt Cider Company / 3-6 p.m. / Free
798-6023 / email@example.com / Web site /
Kid’s Comedy Open Mic
Savage Henry Comedy Club / 3 p.m. / Free
Kids under 12 are welcome to our stage to practice, write, and rehearse their 5 minute set.
834-0690 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site /
Trinidad Town Hall / 6-11 p.m. / $10 / $10 At the door tickets / $5 Pre-sale tickets
677-3631 / Web site /
The Miniplex at Richards’ Goat Tavern / 6-7:30 p.m. / $8
“Laugh-out-loud funny, but also the one cinematic civics lesson you need to see this year.” - Movie Nation.
630-5000 / email@example.com / Web site /
Savage Henry Comedy Club / 9-11 p.m. / $5 / 18+
Savage Henry Comedy Club staple Peter Nelson headlines his first 30 minute set. Evan Vest, Ki Man Harder and Gavin Smiley open. Amaber Heidinger hosts.
845-8864 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site /
RJ Grin’s Lounge / 9 p.m.-1:30 a.m. / Free / 21+
445-0844 / email@example.com /
Bear River Casino Resort / 9 p.m.-1 a.m. / Free / 21+
Rocking all shades of the blues. When Clint relocated to Sacramento, most of the members went on to play in some of Humboldt Counties elite bands like Dr Squid, the Uptown Kings and others.
572-6495 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site /
The Griffin / 9 p.m.-1 a.m. / Free / 21+
Bring your sexy MF’ing self and groove to R&B, Hip Hop, Soul, Latin and more!
email@example.com / Web site /
- A DOG’S JOURNEY: 1:00, 3:45, 6:25, 9:00
- ALADDIN 2D: 11:30, 12:30, 2:30, 3:30, 5:30, 6:30, 8:30, 9:25
- ALADDIN 3D: 1:55, 8:45
- AVENGERS: ENDGAME 2D: 11:50, 3:35, 4:55, 8:00
- BOOKSMART: 1:25, 4:00, 6:35, 9:10
- BRIGHTBURN: 12:10, 2:35, 4:55, 7:15, 9:35
- HUSTLE, THE: 12:45, 3:05, 5:35, 8:00
- JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 3 - PARABELLUM: 12:20, 2:20, 3:20, 5:20, 6:20, 8:20, 9:20
- POKÉMON: DETECTIVE PIKACHU 2D: 11:35, 12:40, 3:15, 4:45, 5:50, 7:20, 8:35
- SUN IS ALSO A STAR, THE: 2:10, 9:40
Mill Creek Cinema
- A DOG’S JOURNEY: 1:00, 3:40, 6:15, 8:50
- ALADDIN 2D: 11:30, 12:35, 2:30, 5:25, 6:35, 8:30, 9:30
- ALADDIN 3D: 3:35
- AVENGERS: ENDGAME 2D: 12:45, 4:30, 8:20
- BOOKSMART: 1:15, 3:50, 6:30, 9:00
- BRIGHTBURN: 12:10, 2:25, 4:50, 7:05, 9:20
- JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 3 - PARABELLUM: 12:25, 3:30, 6:25, 9:25
- POKÉMON: DETECTIVE PIKACHU 2D: 12:25, 3:00, 5:35, 8:10
- ALADDIN: 1:30, 4:45, 8:00
- ASK DR. RUTH: 1:00
- BOOKSMART: 3:00, 6:00, 8:45
- POKEMAN DETECTIVE PIKACHU: 4:00, 6:45, 9:30