Thursday, Feb. 6’s Lowdown
The Arcata Theatre Lounge will commemorate what would have been reggae legend Bob Marley’s 75th birthday with some current reggae royalty. Tarrus Riley, son of reggae legend Jimmy Riley, will headline a Thursday night show also featuring Dean Frazer and The Black Soil Band. Expect a special set of Marley tunes somewhere in there.
Also Thursday: Beloved folk singer/songwriter Iris DeMent has been nominated for two Grammy Awards over her over near-three decade career. On this night she brings her songs to The Old Steeple in Ferndale. Details on those concerts and more in your Lowdown listings below.
Blue Lake Casino and Hotel / 11 a.m.-10 p.m. / $10 / $30 All Event Pass
Join us February 6th-9th for the 11th Annual Inked Hearts Tattoo Expo at Blue Lake Casino Hotel! Hosted by Ted and Amy Marks of Nor Cal Tattoo, with featured artists Liz Cook, Tye Harris, and Joshua Carlton along with over 30 other incredible artists will be present and tattooing on-site.
877-252-2946 / Web site /
The Depot / 6 p.m.
Part of HSU’s Coffee House Series: A brave space that taps into the Black and African oral tradition and brings together diverse communities of people who utilize poetry, prose, spoken word, comedy, and music to share elements of the human experience.
The Old Steeple / 7:30-10 p.m. / $45 / $50 At the door
Iris DeMent has performed world over with her unique blend of folk and country and her music has been featured in film (True Grit 2010) as well as television (The Leftovers on HBO). She has also been nominated for a Grammy for her duet work with John Prine.
786-7030 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site /
The Siren’s Song Tavern / 7:30-9:30 p.m. / $5
Anne Fricke who is an author, poet, podcaster, storyteller, mother, wife, and aspiring open-mic comedian. Greg Bee is a traveling poet, storyteller, and performer. He is currently based in Eureka, CA. He is a registered nurse, and mental health advocate who has overcome bipolar disorder.
496-9404 / email@example.com / Web site /
Carlo Theatre (Dell’Arte) / 8-9 p.m. / $5 / $15 All / $10 All
The show celebrates our namesake, and is a lively comic form featuring bold physical play, masks, bawdy humor, and virtuosic improvised performance.
668-5663 / Web site /
Phatsy Kline’s Parlor Lounge / 8:30-10 p.m.
Laidback Lounge features local DJ’s that play downtempo beats perfect for a laidback groovy evening with friends at Phatsy’s.
444-3344 / Web site /
That 1 Guy
Humboldt Brews / 9 p.m. / $15 / 21+
“Imagine the brainchild of Dr. Seuss, Captain Beefheart, Frank Zappa, Stanley Kubrick and Rube Goldberg, and you begin to understand the spectacle of a That 1 Guy performance by Berkeley, CA-based, classically trained musician Mike Silverman.”
826-2739 / Web site /
Arcata Theatre Lounge / 9:30 p.m.-4 a.m. / $35 / $42 Door / 21+
Come celebrate Bob Marley’s Bday with Tarrus Riley, Dean Frazer and The Black Soil Band! Along w/ a special Bob Marley Tribute set by Ishi Dube, Vidagua, Madi Simmons & Sarge OneWise getting the party started.
367-5949 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site /
2020 New Year Exhibition
Redwood Art Association / noon-5 p.m. / Free
You are invited to enjoy this large art exhibition by Redwood Art Association members. The exhibition is judged with monetary awards. The judge was Tim Clewell, fine art teacher at Arcata High School.
268-0755 / email@example.com / Web site /
The Pub / 6-8 p.m. / Free
General Trivia. Free to play. Gift certs for 1st/2nd place teams. Max 7 people per team.
601-1606 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site /
Humboldt County Library - Eureka Main Branch / 6 p.m. / Free / 21+
Web site /
Humboldt County Library - Eureka Main Branch / 6-9 p.m. / Free
email@example.com / Web site /
Old Town Coffee And Chocolates (Old Town) / 6:30-8:30 p.m. / Free
Usually some singer/guitarists, a couple spoken word guys and then that one wildcard oddity that makes you go “hmm.”
445-8600 / OldTownCoffeeEureka@yahoo.com / Web site /
KEET-TV / 7-8:30 p.m. / Free
445-0811 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site /
Phatsy Kline’s Parlor Lounge / 7:30 p.m.
Fraktal Productions and The Historic Eagle House present Laidback Lounge every Thursday featuring local DJs playing jazz, soul, funk, Latin and more.
444-3344 / Web site /
Blue Lake Casino and Hotel / 9 p.m.-1 a.m. / Free / 21+
Rooted on the beautiful redwood coast of Northern California, The Undercovers are a four piece group of multi-instrumentalists that formed together in 2014 with the like mind to start a different kind of cover band.
877-252-2946 / Web site /
The Miniplex at Richards’ Goat Tavern / 9 p.m. / Free / 21+
Humboldt’s coooooolest karaoke.
630-5000 / Web site /
- 1917: 12:00, 2:55, 5:40, 8:30
- 2020 OSCAR NOMINATED SHORTS: ANIMATION: 2:15, 6:50
- 2020 OSCAR NOMINATED SHORTS: LIVE ACTION: 11:40, 4:25, 9:15
- BAD BOYS FOR LIFE: 11:40, 2:40, 5:40, 8:40
- BIRDS OF PREY (AND THE FANTABULOUS EMANCIPATION OF ONE HARLEY QUINN): 6:30
- DOLITTLE: 1:00, 3:45, 6:20, 9:00
- FROZEN II (2D): 12:40, 3:15
- GENTLEMEN, THE: 11:20, 1:50, 4:20, 7:00, 9:35
- GRETEL & HANSEL: 12:20, 2:40, 5:00, 7:20, 9:40
- JUMANJI: THE NEXT LEVEL: 11:35, 2:30, 5:25, 8:25
- KNIVES OUT: 12:20, 3:25, 9:25
- LITTLE WOMEN: 5:45, 8:50
- RHYTHM SECTION, THE: 1:10, 3:50, 6:30, 9:10
- STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER (2D): 11:25, 2:35, 5:50, 9:05
- TURNING, THE: 11:45, 2:05, 4:30, 6:55, 9:20
Mill Creek Cinema
- 1917: 3:10, 8:50
- BAD BOYS FOR LIFE: 2:40, 5:40, 8:30
- BIRDS OF PREY (AND THE FANTABULOUS EMANCIPATION OF ONE HARLEY QUINN): 6:00
- DOLITTLE: 2:45, 5:20, 8:00
- GENTLEMEN, THE: 4:10, 6:45, 9:20
- GRETEL & HANSEL: 4:00, 6:20, 8:40
- JUMANJI: THE NEXT LEVEL: 6:15, 9:10
- JUMANJI: THE NEXT LEVEL (3D): 3:20
- RHYTHM SECTION, THE: 3:20, 6:10, 9:00
- STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER (2D): 5:50, 9:05
- STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER (3D): 2:35
- 2020 OSCAR SHORTS - ANIMATED: 7:00, 9:30
- 2020 OSCAR SHORTS - DOCUMENTARY: 12:30, 2:30
- 2020 OSCAR SHORTS - LIVE ACTION: 4:15, 6:30
- BIRDS OF PREY: 6:00, 9:00
- FORD V. FERRARI: 1:30
- JOJO RABBIT: 3:00
- LITTLE WOMEN: 5:15
- ONCE UPON A TIME … IN HOLLYWOOD: 9:30
- PARASITE: 8:35