WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Aug. 13, 2018 @ 10:31 a.m.
Weed Feed: Growers Arrested for Refusing to Leave Mendo Complex Fire Evacuation Zone, Caused Firefighters to Divert Air Drops
Three men who refused to leave a mandatory evacuation zone in favor of watering their marijuana plants were arrested earlier this month by the Lake County Sheriff’s Office.
According to the LCSO, 59-year-old Steven Marshall Bell of Redwood Valley, and 41-year-old Gary Thomas Wertheimer and 29-year-old Travis Steven Bell of Nice, Calif., were arrested on August 4, for interfering with firefighters in an evacuation area.
The men were reportedly acting hostile toward fire engine crews in the area and were seen watering marijuana plants in the evacuated area when they were contacted by sheriff’s deputies.
A “Very Large Air Tanker” reportedly had to be diverted from making three different drops because the men refused to leave the area.
Read more from the Lake County Sheriff’s Office:
On August 4, 2018, at approximately 1045AM, Deputies were dispatched to the Bartlett Springs Road area, in Nice. Fire crews were reporting three males in a Toyota pickup being hostile towards fire engine crews and refusing to leave the area.
When deputies arrived they contacted the engine crew. The firefighters told deputies they were attempting to fight the front line of the Ranch Fire which was approximately 20 yards from them. The three males refused to leave causing the fire crew to divert three VLAT (Very Large Air Tanker) passes. The VLAT was being used in an attempt to control the fire so it would not continue to travel to the town of Lucerne.
Deputies contacted the males who were identified as Gary Thomas Wertheimer, 41, of Nice, Steven Marshall Bell, 59, of Redwood Valley, and Travis Steven Bell, 29, of Nice. The three were watering their marijuana plants when they were contacted.
All three were arrested for Interfering with Firefighters During a Fire Operation and Unauthorized Person in an Evacuation Area and released with a citation.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- June 19 Show
- May 15 Show
- April 17 Show
- March 20 Show
- February 20 Show
- January 16 Show
- December 19 Show
- November 21 Show
From the Outpost
- Rio Dell’s Downtown May Soon Have Three Weed Stores
- Humboldt County Growers, Manufacturers Show Out Strong at the 2019 NorCal Cannabis Cup
- (UPDATE: Letter Approved) Supes May Ask State Officials to Close ‘Loophole’ Allowing High-CBD Cannabis to be Grown as Hemp
- TODAY IN SUPES: Hemp Moratorium Reinstated
- County Ag Commissioner Accepting Hemp Registration Forms Ahead of Moratorium Vote
- Will a Lapse in the County’s Hemp Moratorium Inadvertently Open the Floodgates for Industrial Cultivation?
- County Looks to Extend Moratorium on Industrial Hemp Cultivation While Developing New Rules and Regulations
- Bone Thugs-N-Harmony’s Krayzie Bone Visits Humboldt for His New Weed Brand, Looks at Pretty Ocean Views
- The Emerald Magazine : Columbia Care Launches Cannabis Friendly Credit Card
- High Times News: Two Plead Guilty to Using United States Postal Service to Traffic Marijuana
- Marijuana Business Daily: California marijuana vape cartridges required to include universal symbol
- High Times News: Governor of Illinois Signs Bill Legalizing Recreational Marijuana
- Wikileaf: How To Tell The Difference Between Male And Female Cannabis Plants
- High Times News: A New Law Could Allow Oregon To Export Cannabis To Other States
- Marijuana Business Daily: California marijuana grower sues another under federal racketeering statutes
- Wikileaf: Marijuana Bill Could Expunge 300,000 Marijuana Convictions
- Marijuana Business Daily: Illinois becomes 11th state to legalize adult-use cannabis; $2B market projected
- Marijuana Business Daily: Oregon now poised to export marijuana if opportunity opens