WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Aug. 13, 2018 @ 10:31 a.m.
Weed Feed: Growers Arrested for Refusing to Leave Mendo Complex Fire Evacuation Zone, Caused Firefighters to Divert Air Drops
Three men who refused to leave a mandatory evacuation zone in favor of watering their marijuana plants were arrested earlier this month by the Lake County Sheriff’s Office.
According to the LCSO, 59-year-old Steven Marshall Bell of Redwood Valley, and 41-year-old Gary Thomas Wertheimer and 29-year-old Travis Steven Bell of Nice, Calif., were arrested on August 4, for interfering with firefighters in an evacuation area.
The men were reportedly acting hostile toward fire engine crews in the area and were seen watering marijuana plants in the evacuated area when they were contacted by sheriff’s deputies.
A “Very Large Air Tanker” reportedly had to be diverted from making three different drops because the men refused to leave the area.
Read more from the Lake County Sheriff’s Office:
On August 4, 2018, at approximately 1045AM, Deputies were dispatched to the Bartlett Springs Road area, in Nice. Fire crews were reporting three males in a Toyota pickup being hostile towards fire engine crews and refusing to leave the area.
When deputies arrived they contacted the engine crew. The firefighters told deputies they were attempting to fight the front line of the Ranch Fire which was approximately 20 yards from them. The three males refused to leave causing the fire crew to divert three VLAT (Very Large Air Tanker) passes. The VLAT was being used in an attempt to control the fire so it would not continue to travel to the town of Lucerne.
Deputies contacted the males who were identified as Gary Thomas Wertheimer, 41, of Nice, Steven Marshall Bell, 59, of Redwood Valley, and Travis Steven Bell, 29, of Nice. The three were watering their marijuana plants when they were contacted.
All three were arrested for Interfering with Firefighters During a Fire Operation and Unauthorized Person in an Evacuation Area and released with a citation.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- March 20 Show
- February 20 Show
- January 16 Show
- December 19 Show
- November 21 Show
- October 17 Show
- September 19 Show
- August 15 Show
From the Outpost
- Rio Dell Still Rolling Out the Carpet for Weed Biz; New Package Includes Locked-In Tax Rates, Eased Zoning, Equity Program
- Eureka City Council: Ordinance to Allow On-Site Weed Smoking, City Cannabis Equity Program on Tuesday’s Agenda
- ‘PROJECT TRELLIS’: The Board of Supervisors May Create a Government Funding Mechanism for the Local Cannabis Industry Tomorrow
- 455 Pounds of Marijuana, BHO, Guns Seized During Raid in Trinity County
- (VIDEO) PANEL DISCUSSION: The Other Side of Murder Mountain
- THE HOBELMANN REPORT: At Last Week’s ‘Seed to Sale’ Cannabis Business Event in Fortuna
- Weed Growers Without Permits Can Expect Detailed Abatement Letters This Year, County Says
- Panel Discussion at HSU Will Look at Netflix’s Murder Mountain and Media Representations of Humboldt County
- Cannabis Law Report: Here Come The Big Boys !
- Cannabis Law Report: Friday 22 March – State By State Digest: Federal, Arkansas, Florida, Hawaii, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Tennessee
- Leafly: Portland’s $6 Eighth-Ounces Are the Future of Cannabis
- Leafly: New York Legalization Lives or Dies by Friday, Senator Says
- High Times News: Black Lawmakers Threaten Block of New York Legalization Sans Racial Justice Measures
- Marijuana Business Daily: New Jersey governor: Push to legalize recreational marijuana is short on votes
- High Times News: Over 800 CVS Stores Will Start Carrying CBD Products
- Leafly: There’s a Mess of Legalization Bills in Congress. Here’s What Really Matters
- Marijuana Business Daily: MedMen taking Miami Beach to court over cannabis dispensary regulations
- High Times News: Religious Leaders in South Carolina Voice Support for Medical Marijuana