WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Oct. 8, 2018 @ 8:22 a.m.
Weed Feed: Marijuana More Damaging to Teen Brains Than Alcohol, New Study Finds
Teens who use marijuana cause more damage to their brains than those who drink alcohol, a new study published in The American Journal of Psychiatry finds.
According to the study, marijuana use showed signs of short and long-term effects on the teens’ cognitive brain functions, including problem solving, long-term memory, short-term memory and manipulation, USA Today reports.
“For adolescents who use substances, the lasting effects of cannabis on cognition appear to be more pronounced than those observed for alcohol,” The American Journal of Psychiatry Tweeted Friday.
The study looked at 4,000 students in the Montreal area during a four-year period, starting when the average research subject was roughly 13 years old.
Although researchers reportedly expected alcohol to have worse effects on the teens’ brains, they could not link teen alcohol use to any signs of brain damage.
“We initially suspected alcohol would have a bigger effect,” lead author and professor of psychiatry at the University of Montreal Patricia Conrod told USA TODAY.
The study also found that teens who used marijuana were more prone to drug addiction as they grew older.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- June 19 Show
- May 15 Show
- April 17 Show
- March 20 Show
- February 20 Show
- January 16 Show
- December 19 Show
- November 21 Show
From the Outpost
- Rio Dell’s Downtown May Soon Have Three Weed Stores
- Humboldt County Growers, Manufacturers Show Out Strong at the 2019 NorCal Cannabis Cup
- (UPDATE: Letter Approved) Supes May Ask State Officials to Close ‘Loophole’ Allowing High-CBD Cannabis to be Grown as Hemp
- TODAY IN SUPES: Hemp Moratorium Reinstated
- County Ag Commissioner Accepting Hemp Registration Forms Ahead of Moratorium Vote
- Will a Lapse in the County’s Hemp Moratorium Inadvertently Open the Floodgates for Industrial Cultivation?
- County Looks to Extend Moratorium on Industrial Hemp Cultivation While Developing New Rules and Regulations
- Bone Thugs-N-Harmony’s Krayzie Bone Visits Humboldt for His New Weed Brand, Looks at Pretty Ocean Views
- The Emerald Magazine : Columbia Care Launches Cannabis Friendly Credit Card
- High Times News: Two Plead Guilty to Using United States Postal Service to Traffic Marijuana
- Marijuana Business Daily: California marijuana vape cartridges required to include universal symbol
- High Times News: Governor of Illinois Signs Bill Legalizing Recreational Marijuana
- Wikileaf: How To Tell The Difference Between Male And Female Cannabis Plants
- High Times News: A New Law Could Allow Oregon To Export Cannabis To Other States
- Marijuana Business Daily: California marijuana grower sues another under federal racketeering statutes
- Wikileaf: Marijuana Bill Could Expunge 300,000 Marijuana Convictions
- Marijuana Business Daily: Illinois becomes 11th state to legalize adult-use cannabis; $2B market projected
- Marijuana Business Daily: Oregon now poised to export marijuana if opportunity opens