Kinetic Grand Championship
The following is a rundown on event and location highlights for the 2013 Kinetic Grand Championship. Be sure to check in with your Lost Coast Outpost and KHUM for race photos, updates and unverifiable kontroversy throughout the weekend.
Saturday, May 25
10 a.m.-noon - Arcata Plaza Teams make their way around the square past the art, engineering and pageantry judges. Walk around and see the different teams show off and “test their brakes.” Noon, the Race Starts! At the noon whistle, all of the teams swarm the plaza in a big Le Mans style start. Spectators must clear the road!
Manila Dunes Party Racers make pit stop and prepare to take their sculptures onto the sand. Spectators are welcome to follow the racers through the dunes on foot out onto the beach for a few miles, then back into “June’s Dunes” to head up the notorious Dead Man’s Drop.
Dead Man’s Drop Alternative to hiking along the beach, spectators can skip the sand and go straight from the Manila Dunes Community Center back out Peninsula Drive to 255, then south to the Samoa Bridges. There you can park, and follow the crowds up the race course into the dune forest and out to Dead Man’s Drop: a 100-foot sand dune with a serious left hand pitch. The machine that rolls over the most spectacularly wins a special prize. Be prepared with water, sunscreen and bug spray.
Halvorsen Park Finish Line Party on the Eureka Waterfront The finish line for day one is the Super Secret Halvorsen Park After Party. Get an up-close look at the Kinetic Sculptures after their long day of scrapes and trials.
Sunday, May 26
9:30-10:30 a.m. Water Crossing Teams arrive and prepare to enter the water from the public marina by the Wharfinger Building, 1 Waterfront Drive, Eureka. Find a spot along the shore to watch teams enter the water one by one, and (hopefully) make their way floating with the tide along Humboldt Bay. Follow along the waterfront, or enjoy the view from the bay on your own small watercraft. Teams will exit under the Samoa Bridge ramp near Halvorsen Park, then race through Old Town.
Pit Stop at Eureka Natural Foods Teams stop and eat a healthy lunch before heading along South Eureka’s waterfront trails starting with the trail through PALCO Marsh behind the Bayshore Mall. The route continues on Hiksari Trail, a great new trail in South Eureka. Walk or bike along, and watch teams navigate the teeny tiny mud trap.
Loleta Hill It’s a long uphill climb followed by a white-knuckle 7 percent grade winding down past steep drops into the river valley below. Park on the opposite side of the road, and give them some Glory, they’re going to need it. In the town of Loleta, racers turn down Cannibal Island Road toward the finish line and a racers only campout at Crab Park.
Monday, May 27
1 p.m. to 4:32 p.m. Main Street Ferndale KGC teams cross the finish line at Main and Brown after 1 p.m. (following Ferndale’s Memorial Day Parade). It takes a few hours for all the teams to make it, some in a mad dash to finish in good time, some being dragged by their battered crews — all in GLORY! Glorious Awards Dinner follows at Ferndale Foreman’s Hall.
DETAILED COURSE DIRECTIONS
Section 1, Arcata to Manila
- Start, Arcata Plaza (corner of 8th and H) @ Noon Whistle. Circle the Plaza, Parade Style until released to head down 8th – SINGLE LANE AS YOU EXIT PLAZA DOWN 8TH. IF CONGESTED, PLEASE TAKE ANOTHER LAP AROUND PLAZA.
- 8th to N St., right >
- N St. to 11th St., left <
- 11th St. to Janes Rd., right >
- Janes Rd. to Foster Ave., left <
- Foster Ave. becomes Jackson Ranch Rd. at right bend
- Jackson Ranch Rd. to Samoa Blvd. (HWY 255), right > (note: Traffic Control w/Caltrans volunteers, caution signs & cones)
Section 2, Manila to Beach
- Samoa Blvd. (HWY 255) to Young Lane, left < (note: Traffic Control w/Caltrans volunteers, caution signs and cones)
- Young Lane to Peninsula Dr., right >
- Peninsula Dr. runs parallel to HWY 255 for approx. 1.25 miles then it turns right, across HWY 255 via Pacific Ave., right > (Traffic Control w/Caltrans volunteers, caution signs & cones)
- Pacific Ave to Peninsula Dr., left <, head towards Manila Community Center, right > into parking lot
- Prep for beach (staging area on grass on left side of Manila Community Center)
- Dune Entry closes at 3:00
Section 3, The Beach to June’s Dune & Deadman’s
- Manila Community Center beach access – follow gravel road on perimeter of grass after entering Manila Community Center (signs / flags will be indicating route to beach)
- At Beach head south, (left) < (signs / flags & mile markers)
- Beach exit at June’s Dune, left < (Official will call June’s Dunes Push or No Push upon first team through)
- Over and down “Little Deadman’s” to Pipe Line Road (sand), right >
- Turn left before cement Tank vent # 96 (50 – 75 yards)
- Head up slope to Deadman’s Drop
- Signs / flags leading through forest to Samoa Road (HWY 255) access, left < (north)
- Cross traffic danger. Caution signs for both north and south bound traffic. Volunteers to monitor vehicle departure onto Hwy in each direction
- Samoa Blvd. to Samoa Bridge, right >
Section 4, Samoa Bridge to Eureka
- Samoa Bridge to 3rd St., right >
- 3rd St. to O St., left, <
- O St. to 3rd St, right >
- 3rd St. to M St, right >
- M St. to 2nd St., left <
- 2nd St. to L St., right >
- L St. to Waterfront Dr., right >
- Waterfront to FINISH LINE @ Halverson Park, left into park
- Course Closure Day 1 is 6:32 p.m.
- Vehicle overnight parking will be at Halverson Park, between Adorni Center and Samoa Bridge – there will be overnight security.
- The Kinetic After Party will be at Halverson Park from 5:00-9:00 w/music and food.
Section 1, Humboldt Bay & Eureka
- Exit Halverson Park and Turn Right > onto Waterfront Dr. (Off the clock until you get to Wharfinger)
- Waterfront Dr. to L St, left <
- L St to 2nd, right >
- 2nd to F St, right >
- F St to 1st, left < – 1st St turns into Waterfront Dr. - continue to the Eureka Municipal Boat Ramp (Wharfinger)
- Racers’ Meeting 9:30 am at Starting Line
- 1st water entry scheduled at 10:00 am
- Water entry closes at 12:00
- Water exit at boat launch in front of Samoa Bridge up ramp to Waterfront Dr., right >
- Waterfront Dr. to L St., left < (Adorni Center on right)
- L St to 2nd, right >
- 2nd to F St., right >
- F St to 1st, left < 1st St turns into Waterfront Dr. and then Railroad Ave
- Railroad to 14th, left <
- 14th to Koster, right >
- Koster to 15th, left <, then right > into parking lot for a timed out lunch, provided by Eureka Natural Foods. This will be a time out.
- Go back out parking lot to 15th, left <
- 15th to Short Street, left <
- Short St to West Wabash Ave, right >
- West Wabash Ave to Railroad St, left <
- Railroad St. to end @ Del Norte St. right >
- Del Norte St to Palco Marsh, enter left <
- Exit Palco Marsh behind Ray’s Food Store at Truesdale, right > NEW SECTION****
- Truesdale St. to Hikshari’ Trail, left < and continue straight on the paved path.
- When you come to the bridge, DO NOT CROSS. This is a LEGAL PUSH through the ditch on the left hand side of the bridge.
- Hikshari Trail turns into Pound Rd, go to the end, turn right > through the “S” curve
- Just past parking lot, turn right > onto On Ramp to Hwy 101 South
Section 2, Eureka to Crab Park
- Broadway / HWY101 south to Humboldt Hill overpass & EXIT (must exit HWY 101)
- Continue straight crossing Tooby Rd., then veer left < onto overpass to South Broadway St., right >
- South Broadway St. to King Salmon Ave. underpass, right >
- King Salmon Ave. to HWY 101 South entrance, left <
- HWY 101 South to Tompkins Hill Rd. exit, right >
- Tompkins Hill Rd., to College of the Redwoods parking lot for BRAKE TEST, left <
- Exit College of the Redwoods parking lot onto Tompkins Hill Rd., left <
- Tompkins Hill Rd. to Hookton Rd., right >
- Hookton Rd. to overpass HWY 696, right >
- HWY 696 overpass becomes Eel River Dr., straight
- Eel River Dr., up Loleta Hill to Cannibal Island Rd., right >
- Cannibal Island Rd. to FINISH LINE, Crab Park
- Course Closure Day 2 is 7:07 p.m.
- **EVERYONE entering Crab Park MUST have a Crab Park wristband (Pilot, Pit, Peon, Barnacle….). You will not be able to get in without your wristband. Officials will be stationed on the other side of the small bridge just prior to entry to verify.**
Water Crossing: Crab Park To Ferndale
- Racers Meeting at 11:00 a.m. at Crab Park – Day 2 FINISH LINE
- Head left > down beach to tip of Beach to queue up for La Mans Start
- Enter water at the tip of the Beach at 12:00 a.m. La Mans Start (everyone will have a 12:00 a.m. start time).
- Water Crossing closes at 1:00p.m. If you can’t complete the water crossing, you must notify Jen-O (541.579.1596), truck around and begin from Dillon Rd at Camp Weott Rd ** (see ** below)
- Cross Mouth of Eel River and reach Morgan Slough / Salt River, left < up Morgan Slough
- Exit Morgan Slough / Salt River, Legal Push after rear wheels exit the water (roll in / roll out applies)
- Morgan Slough / Salt River to Camp Weott Rd.
- **Camp Weott Rd. to end at Dillon Rd., right >
- Dillon Rd. to Port Kenyon Rd., left <
- Port Kenton Rd. to California St., right >
- California St. to Van Ness Avenue, right >
- Van Ness Avenue to Fifth Street, left <
- Fifth Street to Arlington Avenue, left <
- Arlington Avenue to Main Street (Hwy 211) right > (Traffic volunteer to direct racers)
- Main Street to FINISH LINE at Main and Brown For Your Glory!
- Course Closure for Day 3 is 4:37 p.m.
- NOTE: Awards Dinner is located at very top of Main St., across Ocean Avenue (becomes Frances St.) up to Pavilion building next to Park. Dinner will be served around 6:00 pm and the Awards Banquet will begin at 6:30 “ish” pm.