WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, July 3 @ 8:50 a.m.
Weed Feed: Nevada Legalizes Recreational Pot, Big Booze Wants a Piece of the Action
Nevada became the fifth state to legalize recreational cannabis over the weekend, adding yet another allure to Las Vegas’ culture of adult entertainment.
On midnight Saturday, pot shops all over the state opened their doors to lines of customers excited to buy recreational buds. But legalizing weed in a state long fueled by liquor and cigarettes has its setbacks, and big booze isn’t willing to move forward without its share of the profits.
The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports that a federal judge signed an order last week, prohibiting the Department of Taxation from enforcing its May 31 license application deadline after the Independent Alcohol Distributors of Nevada filed a complaint.
Alcohol distributors are arguing that the voter-approved ballot measure legalizing recreational pot, gives liquor wholesalers exclusive rights to Nevada’s weed distribution for the next 18 months.
NBC News reports that state officials plan to appeal the judge’s ruling. But in the meantime, pot shops are left in distribution limbo.
While bud dispensaries can continue to sell what they have stock. As of now, there’s no legal means for the businesses to receive new pot shipments.
In the meantime, NBC News reports, dispensaries have preemptively stocked up enough weed to potentially fill demand for the next 30 days, as legislators and alcohol wholesalers hash out the details. But the future in uncertain.
Nevada’s recreational pot users also face problems moving forward.
For example: While it’s perfectly legal to carry and drink from an open alcohol container on the strip, the Las Vegas Sun reports that using cannabis in public or at a private residence without the owner’s consent is still illegal and can land you a $600 ticket.
And seeing that casinos aren’t likely to favor paranoid stoners over impulsive drinkers anytime soon, pot tourists will likely have to hotbox their hotel bathrooms or munch on inconspicuous edibles if they want to cruise the strip high.
Not that it hasn’t been done before. Viva Las Vegas!
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
This medical marijuana start-up uses artificial intelligence to find which strain is best for you
AG: 74 indictments in largest illicit pot bust in Colorado history; 2 former Broncos victimized
The Humboldt Chronicles
From the Outpost
- (VIDEO) Confused on How to Register Your Cannabiz? Cheech Will Help You!
- WHAT WE FOUND THERE: Stories From Humboldt’s Marijuana Culture
- Anxiety Runs High as Marijuana Legalization Puts Humboldt County’s Economy at a Crossroads
- 3,000 lbs. of Marijuana Seized and Destroyed After DEU Serves Warrants on Highway 36 Properties
- PRICE SUPPORTS FOR GROWERS! North Coast’s Legislative Delegation Lobbies State Weed Official to Keep Cannabis Production Tiny
- These are the Rules You Must Follow if You Want to Sell Marijuana in California Next Year
- Spanish Tourists Made Up Story of Being Robbed at Gunpoint Near Lady Bird Johnson Grove to Conceal Relation to Marijuana Grow, Say Rangers
- Spanish Tourists Made Up Story of Being Robbed at Gunpoint Near Lady Bird Johnson Grove to Conceal Relation to Marijuana Grow
- High Times News: Marijuana And Mountain Lions: Why Ecologists Are Worried
- The Cannabist: Cannabis workers may earn less than other industries, but they are more optimistic
- The Cannabist: World Health Organization: Initial review of CBD doesn't warrant scheduling
- The Cannabist: 80 years after hemp outlawed in Pennsylvania, state looks to triple permits
- The Cannifornian: Rebel Coast Winery launches world’s first THC-infused, alcohol-free wine
- The Cannabist: A Bay Area community will require home growers to register with police
- High Times News: Dispute Erupts Over New Policy On ‘Cannabis Smell’ Police Stops
- The Cannifornian: The Cannabist gift guide compendium for 2017
- Emerald Report: So…what’s the legal status for cannabis in Jamaica?
- Marijuana Business Daily: New Mexico medical marijuana businesses see big spike in patients