WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, July 3, 2017 @ 8:50 a.m.
Weed Feed: Nevada Legalizes Recreational Pot, Big Booze Wants a Piece of the Action
Nevada became the fifth state to legalize recreational cannabis over the weekend, adding yet another allure to Las Vegas’ culture of adult entertainment.
On midnight Saturday, pot shops all over the state opened their doors to lines of customers excited to buy recreational buds. But legalizing weed in a state long fueled by liquor and cigarettes has its setbacks, and big booze isn’t willing to move forward without its share of the profits.
The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports that a federal judge signed an order last week, prohibiting the Department of Taxation from enforcing its May 31 license application deadline after the Independent Alcohol Distributors of Nevada filed a complaint.
Alcohol distributors are arguing that the voter-approved ballot measure legalizing recreational pot, gives liquor wholesalers exclusive rights to Nevada’s weed distribution for the next 18 months.
NBC News reports that state officials plan to appeal the judge’s ruling. But in the meantime, pot shops are left in distribution limbo.
While bud dispensaries can continue to sell what they have stock. As of now, there’s no legal means for the businesses to receive new pot shipments.
In the meantime, NBC News reports, dispensaries have preemptively stocked up enough weed to potentially fill demand for the next 30 days, as legislators and alcohol wholesalers hash out the details. But the future in uncertain.
Nevada’s recreational pot users also face problems moving forward.
For example: While it’s perfectly legal to carry and drink from an open alcohol container on the strip, the Las Vegas Sun reports that using cannabis in public or at a private residence without the owner’s consent is still illegal and can land you a $600 ticket.
And seeing that casinos aren’t likely to favor paranoid stoners over impulsive drinkers anytime soon, pot tourists will likely have to hotbox their hotel bathrooms or munch on inconspicuous edibles if they want to cruise the strip high.
Not that it hasn’t been done before. Viva Las Vegas!
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
This medical marijuana start-up uses artificial intelligence to find which strain is best for you
AG: 74 indictments in largest illicit pot bust in Colorado history; 2 former Broncos victimized
The Humboldt Chronicles
- August 21 Show
- June 19 Show
- May 15 Show
- April 17 Show
- March 20 Show
- February 20 Show
- January 16 Show
- December 19 Show
From the Outpost
- 1,888 Marijuana Plants Seized, Two Arrested During Grow-Op Raid On Public Lands Near Trinity Alps
- 60,000+ Marijuana Plants, 3,500+ Pounds of Processed Bud Seized During Sizable Law Enforcement Operation in Trinity County
- (UPDATE) Marijuana Grow Neighboring Arcata’s Jacoby Creek Community Forest Causes Logistical Nightmare for Government Agencies; City Expresses Concerns About Owner’s Sketchy History
- (VIDEO) PBS NewsHour Looks at Craft Cannabis in the Emerald Triangle
- ‘OPERATION CLEAN SWEEP’: National Guard Will Also Assist in This Week’s Raids on Illegal Mendocino Marijuana Grow Sites
- (VIDEO) Sheriff Honsal to Unpermitted Marijuana Growers: ‘We are Coming’
- BECAUSE WEED? Old Town’s ‘Because Coffee’ Closing This Weekend, Will Likely Be Replaced by Cannabis Smoking Lounge
- Rio Dell’s Downtown May Soon Have Three Weed Stores
- The Emerald Magazine : True Terpenes Adds a Boost to Your Cannabis Experience
- Marijuana Business Daily: Cannabis retailers should embrace out-of-state consumers – after they’ve taken appropriate steps
- Cannabis Law Report: OR: OLCC Commission Acts on Marijuana Producer Application Deadlines
- Cannabis Law Report: Cannabis Researcher Plans To Sue DEA Over Substandard Research Cannabis
- Wikileaf: How to Make Cannabis Tea
- High Times News: Space Case: NASA-JPL Names a Rock on Mars After the Rolling Stones
- Marijuana Business Daily: Lawsuit alleges marijuana tech firm Tilt Holdings broke law with solicitations
- High Times News: Law Firm Urges Weedmaps to Set Date for Promised Crackdown on Unlicensed Retailers
- Marijuana Business Daily: California state cannabis tax revenues reflect slow, steady increase in legal market sales
- Wikileaf: How CBD Help To Combat Inflammation?