WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, July 3, 2017 @ 8:50 a.m.
Weed Feed: Nevada Legalizes Recreational Pot, Big Booze Wants a Piece of the Action
Nevada became the fifth state to legalize recreational cannabis over the weekend, adding yet another allure to Las Vegas’ culture of adult entertainment.
On midnight Saturday, pot shops all over the state opened their doors to lines of customers excited to buy recreational buds. But legalizing weed in a state long fueled by liquor and cigarettes has its setbacks, and big booze isn’t willing to move forward without its share of the profits.
The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports that a federal judge signed an order last week, prohibiting the Department of Taxation from enforcing its May 31 license application deadline after the Independent Alcohol Distributors of Nevada filed a complaint.
Alcohol distributors are arguing that the voter-approved ballot measure legalizing recreational pot, gives liquor wholesalers exclusive rights to Nevada’s weed distribution for the next 18 months.
NBC News reports that state officials plan to appeal the judge’s ruling. But in the meantime, pot shops are left in distribution limbo.
While bud dispensaries can continue to sell what they have stock. As of now, there’s no legal means for the businesses to receive new pot shipments.
In the meantime, NBC News reports, dispensaries have preemptively stocked up enough weed to potentially fill demand for the next 30 days, as legislators and alcohol wholesalers hash out the details. But the future in uncertain.
Nevada’s recreational pot users also face problems moving forward.
For example: While it’s perfectly legal to carry and drink from an open alcohol container on the strip, the Las Vegas Sun reports that using cannabis in public or at a private residence without the owner’s consent is still illegal and can land you a $600 ticket.
And seeing that casinos aren’t likely to favor paranoid stoners over impulsive drinkers anytime soon, pot tourists will likely have to hotbox their hotel bathrooms or munch on inconspicuous edibles if they want to cruise the strip high.
Not that it hasn’t been done before. Viva Las Vegas!
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
This medical marijuana start-up uses artificial intelligence to find which strain is best for you
AG: 74 indictments in largest illicit pot bust in Colorado history; 2 former Broncos victimized
The Humboldt Chronicles
- January 16 Show
- December 19 Show
- November 21 Show
- October 17 Show
- September 19 Show
- August 15 Show
- July 18 Show
- June 20 Show
From the Outpost
- Governor Newsom Says He Will Pull National Guard Troops From Mexican Border and Redeploy Some ‘North to Go After Illegal Cannabis Farms’
- County Planning Commission Denies Permit for Cannabis Grow on Private Land Within Yurok Ceremonial District
- (VIDEO) Masked Humboldt Pot Growers Dish to ‘Inside Edition’ About Murder Mountain: ‘It Ain’t No Joke’
- Arcata Might Soon Have Two New Places to Buy Legal Weed, Including Pacific Paradise
- Local Cannabis Company Taking Over the Ol’ Kmart Building in Eureka
- (UPDATE) Oregon Marijuana Company Leases 16,000-Square-Foot Bien Padre Factory in Eureka
- Humboldt Man Found Pushing Dolly Full of Weed East on Wyoming Highway
- 16,000 Pounds of Marijuana Seized, Over 30 People Detained at Grow Site East of Honeydew
- Cannabis Law Report: New York City Department of Health To Prosecute F&B Establishments Selling CBD In Food & Drink
- Cannabis Law Report: Challenges and Solutions: Access to Banking Services for Cannabis-Related Businesses
- Cannabis Law Report: Saturday 16 February – State By State Digest: General, Alaska, Nevada, New Mexico
- Leafly: The Roll-Up #73: Stoner Saves a Tiger
- High Times News: Utah’s Largest Healthcare Provider Authorizes Medical Marijuana Recommendations
- Marijuana Business Daily: Canadian marijuana grower Village Farms approved for Nasdaq listing
- Leafly: YouTube’s ‘Pot Scientist’ Fired for Answering Burning Questions
- High Times News: Man Arrested After Offering Weed Wax in Exchange for Fast Food Delivery on Facebook
- Marijuana Business Daily: Missouri gets 400-plus applications for medical cannabis business permits
- Marijuana Business Daily: UK receives initial ‘bulk’ shipment of medical cannabis