WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, July 3, 2017 @ 8:50 a.m.
Weed Feed: Nevada Legalizes Recreational Pot, Big Booze Wants a Piece of the Action
Nevada became the fifth state to legalize recreational cannabis over the weekend, adding yet another allure to Las Vegas’ culture of adult entertainment.
On midnight Saturday, pot shops all over the state opened their doors to lines of customers excited to buy recreational buds. But legalizing weed in a state long fueled by liquor and cigarettes has its setbacks, and big booze isn’t willing to move forward without its share of the profits.
The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports that a federal judge signed an order last week, prohibiting the Department of Taxation from enforcing its May 31 license application deadline after the Independent Alcohol Distributors of Nevada filed a complaint.
Alcohol distributors are arguing that the voter-approved ballot measure legalizing recreational pot, gives liquor wholesalers exclusive rights to Nevada’s weed distribution for the next 18 months.
NBC News reports that state officials plan to appeal the judge’s ruling. But in the meantime, pot shops are left in distribution limbo.
While bud dispensaries can continue to sell what they have stock. As of now, there’s no legal means for the businesses to receive new pot shipments.
In the meantime, NBC News reports, dispensaries have preemptively stocked up enough weed to potentially fill demand for the next 30 days, as legislators and alcohol wholesalers hash out the details. But the future in uncertain.
Nevada’s recreational pot users also face problems moving forward.
For example: While it’s perfectly legal to carry and drink from an open alcohol container on the strip, the Las Vegas Sun reports that using cannabis in public or at a private residence without the owner’s consent is still illegal and can land you a $600 ticket.
And seeing that casinos aren’t likely to favor paranoid stoners over impulsive drinkers anytime soon, pot tourists will likely have to hotbox their hotel bathrooms or munch on inconspicuous edibles if they want to cruise the strip high.
Not that it hasn’t been done before. Viva Las Vegas!
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
This medical marijuana start-up uses artificial intelligence to find which strain is best for you
AG: 74 indictments in largest illicit pot bust in Colorado history; 2 former Broncos victimized
The Humboldt Chronicles
- June 20 Show
- May 16 Show
- April 18 Show
- March 21 Show
- February 21 Show
- January 17 Show
- December 20 Episode
- November 15 Episode
From the Outpost
- Stats for Humboldt Sheriff’s Office’s Week of Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raids
- More Search Warrants Served, More Marijuana Eradicated at Unpermitted Humboldt Grow Sites
- Humboldt Sheriff’s Office Gets Sassy With Its Hashtags During Unpermitted Weed Grow Raids; 13,000+ Marijuana Plants Eradicated
- Arcata’s New Cannabis Ordinance Goes into Effect Today and It May Allow More Sales Than It Seems
- Humboldt Growers See Opportunity as the State’s New Cannabis Rules Cause Bottlenecks in the Supply Chain
- Humboldt County Gets Its Own Regional Office of the Bureau of Cannabis Control
- 1,924 Marijuana Plants Eradicated, Firearms Seized at Unpermitted Grow Near Dinsmore
- 3,075 Marijuana Plants Eradicated, Firearms Seized, Various Violations Observed, One Arrested During Raid Near Dinsmore
- High Times News: Winners of the 2018 Amsterdam Cannabis Cup
- Cannabis Law Report: New Frontier Data Publishes Mini Update On State Of Cannabis, Banking & FinCEN
- Marijuana Business Daily: Chart: Can medical marijuana programs survive in states with recreational markets?
- The Cannifornian: Marijuana suspected after driver rear-ends car with California state controller aboard
- Cannabis Law Report: WSWA (The Wine & Spirits Wholesalers of America) Press Release Favours States Rights On regulated Cannabis
- Cannabis Culture: ‘Trifecta of Opportunity Within One Plant’: Prairie Hemp Farmers Could Win Big With New Cannabis Rules
- Cannabis Culture: A Bethlehem Woman’s Uneasy Journey From Opioids to Cannabis
- Cannabis Culture: David Staples: New Lamp That Mimics the Sun Has Major Impact on Cannabis Growing
- Merry Jane: Capture Your Kush Lifestyle in MERRY JANE’s Broccoli Bash Challenge With SESH
- Cannabis Law Report: Billboard Report: “Chalice Festival Sues Bureau of Cannabis Control as Weed-Centric Events Battle With Legalization”