WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, April 23, 2018 @ 9:34 a.m.
Weed Feed: A Gram of Bud Costs Less Than $5 in Oregon Thanks to Overproduction
Rampant marijuana overproduction has plunged Oregon’s weed prices to new lows.
The Willamette Week reports that a gram of weed now costs as little as $4 at some Oregon pot shops.
Due to the ongoing issue of federal marijuana prohibition, businesses can’t legally ship their pot out of state. So when a state like Oregon reportedly grows three times more weed than it consumes, prices can only go down.
“The business has been up and down and up and down,” a former Oregon pot shop owner who had to shut his doors four months ago told the Willamette Week . “But in a lot of ways it has just been down and down for dispensaries.”
Hezekiah Allen, the executive director of the California Growers’ Association has estimated that California grows eight times more marijuana than it consumes. So unless growers are shipping excess weed out of state — which they almost certainly are — then California’s pot industry may soon bottom out like Oregon’s.
But there’s hope, as the federal government may be taking steps toward rescinding its ban on marijuana. Last week, President Trump promised to support congressional efforts to protect states’ rights to legalize marijuana. And on Friday, CNN reported that Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer plans to propose legislation decriminalizing marijuana at the federal level.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- March 20 Show
- February 20 Show
- January 16 Show
- December 19 Show
- November 21 Show
- October 17 Show
- September 19 Show
- August 15 Show
From the Outpost
- Rio Dell Still Rolling Out the Carpet for Weed Biz; New Package Includes Locked-In Tax Rates, Eased Zoning, Equity Program
- Eureka City Council: Ordinance to Allow On-Site Weed Smoking, City Cannabis Equity Program on Tuesday’s Agenda
- ‘PROJECT TRELLIS’: The Board of Supervisors May Create a Government Funding Mechanism for the Local Cannabis Industry Tomorrow
- 455 Pounds of Marijuana, BHO, Guns Seized During Raid in Trinity County
- (VIDEO) PANEL DISCUSSION: The Other Side of Murder Mountain
- THE HOBELMANN REPORT: At Last Week’s ‘Seed to Sale’ Cannabis Business Event in Fortuna
- Weed Growers Without Permits Can Expect Detailed Abatement Letters This Year, County Says
- Panel Discussion at HSU Will Look at Netflix’s Murder Mountain and Media Representations of Humboldt County
- Cannabis Law Report: Here Come The Big Boys !
- Cannabis Law Report: Friday 22 March – State By State Digest: Federal, Arkansas, Florida, Hawaii, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Tennessee
- Leafly: Portland’s $6 Eighth-Ounces Are the Future of Cannabis
- Leafly: New York Legalization Lives or Dies by Friday, Senator Says
- High Times News: Black Lawmakers Threaten Block of New York Legalization Sans Racial Justice Measures
- Marijuana Business Daily: New Jersey governor: Push to legalize recreational marijuana is short on votes
- High Times News: Over 800 CVS Stores Will Start Carrying CBD Products
- Leafly: There’s a Mess of Legalization Bills in Congress. Here’s What Really Matters
- Marijuana Business Daily: MedMen taking Miami Beach to court over cannabis dispensary regulations
- High Times News: Religious Leaders in South Carolina Voice Support for Medical Marijuana