WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, April 23, 2018 @ 9:34 a.m.
Weed Feed: A Gram of Bud Costs Less Than $5 in Oregon Thanks to Overproduction
Rampant marijuana overproduction has plunged Oregon’s weed prices to new lows.
The Willamette Week reports that a gram of weed now costs as little as $4 at some Oregon pot shops.
Due to the ongoing issue of federal marijuana prohibition, businesses can’t legally ship their pot out of state. So when a state like Oregon reportedly grows three times more weed than it consumes, prices can only go down.
“The business has been up and down and up and down,” a former Oregon pot shop owner who had to shut his doors four months ago told the Willamette Week . “But in a lot of ways it has just been down and down for dispensaries.”
Hezekiah Allen, the executive director of the California Growers’ Association has estimated that California grows eight times more marijuana than it consumes. So unless growers are shipping excess weed out of state — which they almost certainly are — then California’s pot industry may soon bottom out like Oregon’s.
But there’s hope, as the federal government may be taking steps toward rescinding its ban on marijuana. Last week, President Trump promised to support congressional efforts to protect states’ rights to legalize marijuana. And on Friday, CNN reported that Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer plans to propose legislation decriminalizing marijuana at the federal level.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- June 19 Show
- May 15 Show
- April 17 Show
- March 20 Show
- February 20 Show
- January 16 Show
- December 19 Show
- November 21 Show
From the Outpost
- Rio Dell’s Downtown May Soon Have Three Weed Stores
- Humboldt County Growers, Manufacturers Show Out Strong at the 2019 NorCal Cannabis Cup
- (UPDATE: Letter Approved) Supes May Ask State Officials to Close ‘Loophole’ Allowing High-CBD Cannabis to be Grown as Hemp
- TODAY IN SUPES: Hemp Moratorium Reinstated
- County Ag Commissioner Accepting Hemp Registration Forms Ahead of Moratorium Vote
- Will a Lapse in the County’s Hemp Moratorium Inadvertently Open the Floodgates for Industrial Cultivation?
- County Looks to Extend Moratorium on Industrial Hemp Cultivation While Developing New Rules and Regulations
- Bone Thugs-N-Harmony’s Krayzie Bone Visits Humboldt for His New Weed Brand, Looks at Pretty Ocean Views
- The Emerald Magazine : Columbia Care Launches Cannabis Friendly Credit Card
- High Times News: Two Plead Guilty to Using United States Postal Service to Traffic Marijuana
- Marijuana Business Daily: California marijuana vape cartridges required to include universal symbol
- High Times News: Governor of Illinois Signs Bill Legalizing Recreational Marijuana
- Wikileaf: How To Tell The Difference Between Male And Female Cannabis Plants
- High Times News: A New Law Could Allow Oregon To Export Cannabis To Other States
- Marijuana Business Daily: California marijuana grower sues another under federal racketeering statutes
- Wikileaf: Marijuana Bill Could Expunge 300,000 Marijuana Convictions
- Marijuana Business Daily: Illinois becomes 11th state to legalize adult-use cannabis; $2B market projected
- Marijuana Business Daily: Oregon now poised to export marijuana if opportunity opens