WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Sunday, Feb. 11 @ 12:31 p.m.
Weed Feed: California Girl Scout Stirs Controversy By Selling 312 Boxes of Cookies In Front of San Diego Pot Shop; In Humboldt It's No Big Deal
The anonymous scout poses in front of the pot shop where she sold more than 300 boxes of cookies.
Girls Scout cookies (GSC) are more than just a strain of weed at some pot shops.
An ambitious Girl Scout sold 312 boxes outside her local weed dispensary in San Diego in six hours earlier this month.
The location raised concerns within the scouts organization, but KGTV in San Diego reports that no rules were broken in the process.
Girl Scouts San Diego spokesperson Alison Bushan told KGTV that her local council consulted the cookie sales rule book, and found that booth sales are allowed in front of almost any business, including weed dispensaries. And while booth sales had not yet begun during the scouts big haul, the anonymous scout and her father were reportedly still within the rules because they were them selling at a distance from their cookie cart.
“If that’s what they were doing and they had their cart, they were walking around their community, then that is right and well within the rules,” Bushan told KGTV.
Rules for Girls Scout cookie sales differ from region to region. For example, in 2014 the Girl Scouts of Colorado banned selling cookies in front of marijuana dispensaries or liquor stores, the New York Times reports.
Meanwhile, the Girls Scouts of Northern California have no issue with scouts selling in front of pot shops, as long as they are with a guardian in a safe location and are following the rules. In fact, local Girl Scout volunteer Cheryl Kingham told the Outpost that scouts sold cookies in front of Arcata’s Heart Humboldt marijuana dispensary last year.
“We dealt with this issue three years ago on our counsci,” Kingham said. “We do not have any prohibition against girl scouts selling in front of any marijuana dispensaries. If a parent is with their child and deems their location safe, then the council is okay with that.”
Booth location rules for the Girl Scouts of Northern California are as follows:
During product sales activities, our primary concern is always the safety and well-being of the girls we serve.
GSNorCal does not dictate “permitted” or “prohibited locations” for booth locations. We rely on parents and volunteers to make wise decisions for their girls. Both Girl Scouts of Northern California and Girl Scouts of the USA offer booth safety guidelines, and we rely on troop leaders and parents to make decisions about the right place for their girls to set up product sales booths based on the varied and diverse communities they live in.
For GSNorCal, this covers urban, suburban and rural locations across 19 counties from Gilroy to the Oregon border. We respect that individual sales and booth decisions will vary for different families and within the context of their communities. We encourage troops to observe our safety guidelines during the cookie sale.
Girl Scout cookies are currently being sold around the county. To find the closest booth near you, visit the organization’s website or download the “Girl Scout Cookie Finder” application on your smart phone.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- September 19 Show
- August 15 Show
- July 18 Show
- June 20 Show
- May 16 Show
- April 18 Show
- March 21 Show
- February 21 Show
From the Outpost
- Humboldt Sheriff’s Office Releases 2018 Weed Raid Stats: 65 Operations, 198,692 Plants Eradicated, $3M Seized
- 2,139 Marijuana Plants Eradicated at Unpermitted Grow in SoHum
- 4,671 Marijuana Plants Eradicated at Unpermitted Grow Ops in SoHum
- Unpermitted SoHum Marijuana Grow Raided; 4,988 Plants Eradicated
- THE HOBELMANN REPORT: Cannabis Commerce Descends On Fortuna at HCGA’s ‘Meet the Buyers’ Event
- One Arrested, 10,211 Plants Eradicated During Marijuana Grow Raid Near Dinsmore
- Big SoHum Marijuana Grow Raid; 21,053 Plants Eradicated; Over 3,400 Pounds Destroyed
- Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raid on Berry Summit; 4,834 Plants Eradicated
- Leafly: Ottawa to Grant Pardons to Canadians Convicted of Cannabis Possession
- Marijuana Business Daily: Michigan bans marijuana-infused alcoholic drinks
- High Times News: Canadian Delivery Service Announces Willy Wonka Lottery to Celebrate Legalization
- Marijuana Business Daily: Behind the Cover: Photos from Marijuana Business Magazine’s October 2018 Issue
- Marijuana Business Daily: Canada embarks on legal cannabis: What we’re watching
- Cannabis Law Report: GOP Lawmaker Says Trump Administration Will Soon Unveil a Federal Marijuana Reform Plan
- Cannabis Law Report: It Starts !! Guardian Article – “Dazed and confused: Canada cannabis legalization brings complex new laws”
- Cannabis Law Report: Canopy Acquires EBBU Inc Hemp IP
- Leafly: Canada Cuts Ribbon on World’s Largest Legal Marijuana Marketplace
- Marijuana Business Daily: Canada’s Landmark Day: Country launches the industrialized world’s first recreational cannabis market