WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, Sept. 18 @ 10 a.m.
Weed Feed: Gov. Jerry Brown Signs New Law Banning Any Cannabis Use On State Roadways
While driving intoxicated on cannabis was already illegal, no laws prevented California drivers or passengers from taking the edge off while cruising the road.
But last week, Gov. Jerry Brown signed a bill prohibiting drivers or passengers from using any form of cannabis on California roadways.
The LA Times reports that the measure was written by Sen. Jerry Hill in anticipation of recreational cannabis becoming legal this January.
The newly signed bill will soon allow officers to issue offending drivers or passengers a $70 fine.
In an interview with the Sacramento Bee, California Highway Patrol Drug Evaluation Coordinator Glen Glaser said that officers are trained to determine a driver’s level of intoxication based on categories and not one specific drug.
“Whether it be be depressive, stimulants — cannabis is a category, narcotics … we train [officers] to determine impairment based on a category, not a specific drug,” Glaser told reporters last year. “Our officers are trained to recognize impairment and that’s the key. Whether they’re impaired with cannabis or another substance, we want to take unsafe drivers off the road.”
Gov. Brown also vetoed another cannabis bill that would have — in theory — prevented marijuana packaging from appealing to kids.
KGTV in San Diego reports that Gov. Brown wrote a statement to California Senators regarding his decision, saying that current laws already prohibit cannabis products from being “attractive to children.”
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
Smoking pot or tobacco at California beaches could soon be illegal under bills headed to Gov. Brown
Smoking pot while driving or riding in a car in California will soon be punishable with a fine
From the Outpost
- (VIDEO) Kirsten Dunst on Humboldt Weed: ‘This is, Like, STUH-RONG Shit’
- Supervisors Opt to Prorate Cannabis Excise Tax, Place Moratorium on Weed Grows in Coastal Zone
- Suspected Hash Lab Explosion West of Willits Blows Hole in Roof of 30,000-Square-Foot Warehouse
- Environmental Leaders Say County’s Weed Ordinance and Draft EIR are Fine But Enforcement is Sorely Lacking
- These Marijuana Bills From Our State Reps Could Shape California’s Legal Weed Industry
- Two Days of Megaraids in the Petrolia Area — Each Centered on a Limited Liability Company — Yield Over 13,000 Plants, Three Tons of Processed Weed, Numerous Environmental Violations
- (PHOTOS) Arcata Celebrates Cannabis Culture With First Ever ‘Yes We Cann Parade & Hullabaloo’
- One Arrested, One At Large After Eureka Marijuana Deal Gone Bad
- The Cannabist: S03e23: They run a 420-friendly radio station
- The Cannabist: Cannabist Show: They run a 420-friendly radio station
- The Cannifornian: Music review: Cannabis Corpse’s ‘Left Hand Pass’ is worth a puff
- High Times News: Most Mormons Support Medical Marijuana
- The Cannabist: Denver gets a little help from other states, nations as it hosts annual marijuana regulatory conference
- Leafly: Leaf Forward Hopes to Be Canada’s First Cannabis-Biz Accelerator
- High Times News: 10 States Where You Don’t Want to Get Caught with Weed
- Leafly: “Hello! Thanks for Visiting Maine. May I Take Your Cannabis Order?”
- The Cannifornian: Editorial: Let legal marijuana put the black market out of business
- The Cannabist: Russian state media says Morgan Freeman's marijuana use behind his critique of Putin