Humboldt Today with John Kennedy O'Connor
Savage Henry's Chris Durant Would Like to Meet You in an Alley
There are plenty of reasons the world has seemed less funny lately. One local bummer in point: Turns out global pandemics are hard on a comedy club.
But Chris Durant is still experimenting with ways to generate yuks and maintain cohesion in Humboldt’s comedy community. For example, with venues closed due to safety concerns during the COVID era, the Savage Henry Comedy Club co-owner has taken to staging drive-in comedy shows in a downtown Eureka alley where attendees are invited to tune in to hear local comics via Durant’s short-range FM transmitter. As he explains in this week’s edition of Humboldt Holding Up — LoCO’s attempt to better understand Zoom — the open-air gigs have drawn new breeds of heckler.
Make with the clickin’ on the audio player for a heaping serving of Durant’s mellifluous tones as he catches up with the Outpost’s Stephanie McGeary and Andrew Goff. Topics include:
- Chris’s journey from Times-Standard crime reporter during the Humboldt newspaper wars to co-founding Savage Henry Magazine
- What kind of comedy works in Humboldt
- Durant makes his pitch for why the government should classify comedy clubs the same as churches with regards to COVID reopening protocols
- Who is this “Savage Henry”?
All that and more in stunning Zoom-quality audio! And if you need additional quasi-human interaction, please scroll the list of previous Humboldt Holding Up guests below.
PREVIOUS TALKING HUMBOLDT HUMANS:
- Eureka Street Art Festival Organizer Jenna Catsos
- SCRAP Humboldt Founder Tibora Bea
- Gym Owner Tyler Parr
- Six Rivers Brewery Co-Owner Meredith Maier
- Multicutural Skincare Therapist Levia Love
- Annie’s Cambodian Server and Social Worker Joshua Coppock
- Eureka City Councilmember Austin Allison
- HSU Professor Deidre Pike
- Pastor Bethany Cseh
- Singer/Songwriter Chris Parreira
- Eureka City Councilmember Leslie Castellano
- Arcata City Councilmember Paul Pitino
Listen to this episode
blog comments powered by Disqus