On the North Pass Fire east of Covelo, Cal Fire and the US Forest Service have released some areas from evacuations orders that have been in place for 10 days. (see below for the press release and exact areas.) The fire however, still continues with over 3400 acres burnt and only 37% contained.
At this point, over 2100 personnel are fighting the blaze. Five residences have been destroyed and seven outbuildings. In addition, 23 residences, 5 commercial properties and 35 outbuildings are threatened. According to Cal Fire, “Fire continues to spread north toward the Middle Fork of the Eel River, Hammerhorn Lake, Foster Glade and Asa Bean Ridge within the Yolla Bolly Middle Eel Wilderness, eastward toward Forest Road M2, and south toward Forest Highway 7.”
CAL FIRE/US Forest Service Press Release:
Limited Lifting of Evacuation Order
Covelo, CA- Evacuations have been lifted for the following areas:
- Indian Dick Road (Forest Road M1) up to Boardman Camp is open, all points north along that road remain closed.
- Mendocino Pass Road (Forest Highway 7) from the Eel River Work Station/Black Butte Ranch up to benchmark 2444 (second driveway entrance to Bauer Subdivision). All areas east of the intersection to Forest Road M4 remain closed and within the evacuation order.
- Forest Order 08-12-13 remains in effect.
- Residents will not be allowed to drive on the roads between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.
- Only residents in possession of a valid ID with a local address will be allowed into open areas.