Tag Wotherspoon / Monday, Oct. 22, 2012 @ 5:11 a.m. / Sports
TAG'S TEAMS: Arcata Tigers Secure 'Big Five' Championship
Congratulations to head coach Dave Fillippini and the Arcata Tigers for capturing their first outright Big Five Conference championship since 1985 with a 28-12 home win over the Eureka Loggers on October 19.
Arcata also snapped a 24 game losing steak to Eureka, as they defeated the Loggers for the first time since 1990.
Meanwhile, the Ferndale Wildcats clinched at least a share of their 14th straight Little Four Conference title with a 62-20 road victory over the Hoopa Valley Warriors last Friday..
The Wildcats have now beat the Warriors 32 times in a row.
In the game of the year, the Fortuna Huskies outlasted the Del Norte Warriors in overtime by a score of 41-40 in Crescent City.
Fortuna has won the last nine games in its series with Del Norte.
SMALL SCHOOL RANKINGS
1) Ferndale (7-1) - The surging Wildcats, who have reeled off five straight wins, play the South Fork Cubs in their final home game of the regular season.
2) South Fork (3-5) - The Cubs exploded for 22 points in the fourth quarter, as they rallied from a 12-0 deficit, to earn a 22-18 victory over the St. Bernard’s Crusaders.
3) St. Bernard’s (5-3) - The Crusaders dropped a spot in our latest rankings after their loss to South Fork.
4) Hoopa Valley (2-6) - The Warriors will try to break a five game losing streak, when they entertain St. Bernard”s.
LARGE SCHOOL RANKINGS
1) Arcata (8-1) - Senior Aleric Stone and junior Tyler Kiel combined for 340 yards rushing and three touchdowns for the Tigers against Eureka.
2) Fortuna (5-3) - After giving up 33 unanswered points, senior Colton Ross scored on a 10 yard run and junior Bryant Head kicked the extra point to help lead the Huskies to their overtime win over the Warriors.
3) Eureka (4-5) - The Loggers will try to regroup during their bye week, before they host Fortuna on November 2.
4) Del Norte (2-6) - The Warriors, who have lost four straight games by a combined total of 20 points, travel to Arcata to face the Tigers at the Redwood Bowl.
5) McKinleyville (2-6) - The Panthers return to action after their bye week against Fortuna in the Friendly City.
WEEK 9 SCORES
Ferndale 62 Hoopa Valley 20 *
South Fork 22 St. Bernard’s 18 *
Arcata 28 Eureka 12 *
Fortuna 41 Del Norte 40 (OT) *
Bye - McKinleyville
WEEK 10 GAMES
St. Bernard’s (2-2, 5-3) at Hoopa Valley (0-4, 2-6) *
Del Norte (1-4, 2-6) at Arcata (6-0, 8-1) *
McKinleyville (0-5, 2-6) at Fortuna (3-2, 5-3) *
South Fork (2-2, 3-5) at Ferndale (4-0, 7-1) *
Bye - Eureka (2-1, 4-5)
* Conference Game