Eureka Police Department press release:
The Eureka Police Department, in conjunction with the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Department, cited one (1) clerk for selling alcohol to a minor decoy during a “Minor Decoy Sting” operation on 09-21-2013.
During the sting operation, a minor decoy under the direct supervision of law enforcement, attempted to purchase alcohol from 13 retail licensees within Humboldt County. Those who sold to the minor face a minimum fine of $250, and/or 24 to 32 hours of community service for a first violation. In addition, the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control may take administrative action against the alcoholic beverage license of the business. That may include a fine, a suspension of the license, or the permanent revocation of the license.
The Eureka Police Department, through grant funding from the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC), has teamed up with the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Department to conduct “decoy stings” in an attempt to reduce the availability of alcohol to minors. Statistics have shown that young people under the age of 21 years old have a higher rate of drunken driving fatalities than the general adult population. It is our goal to extend our efforts county wide to reduce alcohol related crime and fatalities.
The following businesses were checked and SOLD to the minor decoy:
- 1). Riverwalk 76 Gas Station (1791 Riverwalk Drive)
The following businesses were checked and did NOT sell to the minor decoy:
- 1). Three Corner’s Grocery (5945 Myrtle Ave)
- 2). United Gas (1679 Myrtle Ave)
- 3). Myrtlewood Liquors (1648 Myrtle Ave)
- 4). Fairway Market (590 Herrick Ave)
- 5). Fortuna Safeway (701 S. Fortuna Blvd)
- 6). Express Liquors and Cigars (421 N. Fortuna Blvd.)
- 7). Rio Dell Shell (582 Wildwood Ave)
- 8). Myrtle Ave Market (2500 Myrtle Ave)
- 9). Country Club Market (5667 S. Broadway)
- 10). E&J Liquors – Rio Dell (127 Wildwood Ave)
- 11). Fortuna Chevron (875 Main Street)
- 12). R. Village Shell (723 S. Fortuna Blvd).