From the Humboldt County Department of Health and Human Services:

With summer just around the corner, many Humboldt County residents are planning to travel outside of the country.

Exposure to new places, foods and cultures can be exciting, but may also bring with it exposure to new illnesses.

“When traveling out of the country, it is important to know if the region you’ll be visiting has any vaccine preventable illnesses circulating among the people. Then ask whether you’re up to date or if you need additional immunization to protect against those diseases,” said Susan Wardrip, R.N., immunization coordinator for the Humboldt County Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS). “Some vaccines really should be received a few weeks or even a month in advance. It is never too early to call and check in with us about what you may need.”

The DHHS Public Health Clinic offers travel vaccines, as well as an International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis. Those traveling out of country should contact the clinic to inquire about what vaccines are needed.

For those countries where malaria is a problem, a nurse practitioner is available to prescribe the appropriate medication and talk to travelers about preventing mosquito bites.

Travelers headed to Latin America and the Caribbean, where the Zika virus is prevalent, should take precautions against mosquitoes as well. There is currently no vaccine available to prevent the virus. 

Vaccine prices are subject to change. Payment is due at the time of service. The clinic accepts cash or checks only.

To find out what vaccines you may need, find out the current cost and to make an appointment, call the Public Health Clinic at 707-268-2108. The clinic is located at 529 I St. in Eureka.