Andrew Goff / Monday, Nov. 6, 2017 @ 10:30 a.m. / Crime
Armed Men in Tactical Gear Rob Spanish Tourists Near Lady Bird Johnson Grove
UPDATE, 11/13: Just kidding!:
- Spanish Tourists Made Up Story of Being Robbed at Gunpoint Near Lady Bird Johnson Grove to Conceal Relation to Marijuana Grow, Say Rangers
# # #
Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office press release:
On 11-03-17 a group of tourists from Spain were visiting the Bald Hill Rd area of the Redwood National/State Parks. They parked the two vehicles they were driving in a wide spot just east of the Lady Bird Johnson parking area. They all went on a hike and returned to the vehicles between 2:00 PM and 4:00 PM. They were immediately approached by a male suspect wearing a tactical style vest with the word “SWAT” on the front of it. An additional male suspect then walked out as well. The second suspect was armed with what they described as an assault style rifle. All of the tourists were ordered to lay on the ground as a third suspect walked up from behind them. Suspect three fired four to five shots into the air. The shots were in rapid succession which led the victims to believe it was fully automatic. The tourists were ordered to empty their pockets and their belongings were collected by the suspects. The suspects then took both of the tourists vehicles.
- Stolen Vehicle #1 white 1998 Ford Explorer California license plate 6EMC192
- Stolen Vehicle #2 white 2001 Dodge camper van British Columbia plate LK7358
- Suspect #1 White male adult 30-40 years old 5’-7” to 5’-9” with an overweight build.
- Suspect #2 Not seen only heard. Used a lot of slang words and appeared younger
- Suspect #3 Not seen or heard talking.
The Sheriff’s Office is asking for the publics help. If the suspects or stolen vehicles are seen immediately call 911. The suspects are to be considered armed and dangerous.