UPDATE, 10:55 p.m.:
While KRCR-TV has been forced to evacuate its studio, freelance photojournalist Mike Daly is live streaming as he drives around the Redding area. Watch his live video below:
UPDATE: KRCR-TV in Redding is providing excellent live coverage of the fire which you can watch below. (UPDATE, 10:29 p.m.: KRCR staff have evacuated the newsroom.)
# # #
West Redding residents have been ordered to flee their homes tonight, after the Carr fire jumped the Sacramento River and hour ago.
Redding’s California Highway Patrol office reports that the fire is our of control and spreading quickly toward the community of West Redding
“The fire is creating a huge wind vacuum and moving very rapidly toward West Redding. This fire is out of control!” the CHP wrote on Facebook an hour ago. “If you see heavy smoke or flames and feel threatened, leave … don’t wait for evacuation calls. If you live near to the Sacramento River between Eureka Way and Keswick Dam, I would start packing and get out now.”
Calfire reports that as of 7 p.m., the following areas are under evacuation:
South along Swasey Dr from SR 299 to Placer Rd. West along Placer Rd From Swasey Dr to Prospect Dr North from Prospect Dr to encompass Middle Park Ranch Land Area West of Overhill Dr and North of SR 299 North of SR 299 and West of Spinmaker Rd to the end of Harlan Dr Keswick Dam East to Counter Lane, North to Quartz Hill Rd. The community of French Gulch is under an Evactuation Order. Residents along SR 299 west of Trinity Mountain Rd to the base of Buckhorn Summit are also under evacuation order. Residents along Whiskey Creek Rd to include the boat launch/day use areas are evacuated.
- SR 299W closure for westbound traffic now at Buenaventura Blvd.
- Closure to eastbound traffic remains at Buckhorn Summit.
- South along Swasey Dr from SR 299 to Placer Rd, West along Placer Rd from Swasey Dr to Prospect Dr
- North from Prospect Dr to common place Middletown Park.
List of evacuation centers:
- Residents located east of Trinity Mountain Road use evacuation center located at Shasta College 11555 Old Oregon Trail in Redding.
- Residents located west of Trinity Mountain Road use evacuation center located at Weaverville Elementary School 31020 HWY 3 in Weaverville.
- Animal evacuation centers: Large Animal – Redding Rodeo Grounds 715 Auditorium Drive Redding, Ca.
- Small Animal – Haven Humane 9417 East Side Drive Redding, Ca.
As of 8:48 p.m., 15 structures have been destroyed and 496 are threatened. However, those numbers are likely to increase. We will continue to post updates throughout the night.