Photos provided by HBF.

Humboldt Bay Fire press release:

Noticing smoke and hearing a fire alarm coming from the apartment near theirs, neighbors on the 2300 block of Myrtle Avenue called 911 to alert Humboldt Bay Fire of a possible fire just after 4 p.m. today.

Crews arrived on scene to see gray smoke pushing out a window with no answer to the door. Crew 8115 readied themselves to force entry and were able to enter the apartment through an upstairs window.
Once inside, they found a pot left on the stove, burner on and nobody home.

After securing the appliance, ensuring a fire-safe environment, and completing a search, crews set up ventilation to rid the apartment of health-hazardous smoke.

Humboldt Bay Fire would like to remind our community to be vigilant about cooking safety. Never leave your stove on and unattended, even for a few minutes, as cooking fires can rapidly spread out of control.

Thank you to the neighbors who noticed the alarm and smoke and called it in. Never hesitate to call 9-1-1 for Humboldt Bay Fire. We are here for you, everyday.