Press release from the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office:
On Dec. 10, 2019, at about 2:30 p.m., Humboldt County Sheriff’s deputies were dispatched to a residence on the 2800 block of Hall Avenue, in the county’s jurisdiction of Eureka, for the report of a package theft that had just occurred.
The victim told deputies that they had been pulling up to their residence when they observed the suspect, 46-year-old Roy Leon Moran, stealing a package from the residence’s front porch. Moran fled the scene in a vehicle. The victim was able to provide deputies with a detailed description of the suspect vehicle, in addition to a last known direction of travel.
Deputies located the vehicle on Old Arcata Road near the Bayside Cutoff in Bayside and conducted a traffic stop. During the traffic stop, deputies located the stolen package inside the vehicle.
Moran was arrested and booked into the Humboldt County Correctional Facility on charges of petty theft (PC 488) and violation of probation (PC 1203.2(a)).
As “porch pirates” are active this holiday season, the Sheriff’s Office would like to remind the public to take extra precautions this month to protect your packages.
A few tips to keep your package deliveries safe this month:
- Set up delivery notifications – Most delivery services offer the option to be notified of your package’s status every step of the way. Set up notifications so that you can be home when your package arrives.
- Use a locker or request a hold for pick up- Major postal companies like Amazon and UPS now offer lockers for rent. By using these lockers, you can get your package delivered to a certain location and pick it up at your leisure without worrying about theft. Alternatively, you may also be able to request the delivery company hold your package at their local facility for pick up. Some companies have also partnered with other businesses to offer secure package pick up. Be sure to check with the postal company you are using prior to selecting these options.
- Have your package delivered to your workplace or another trusted location if possible.
- Ask a neighbor you trust to pick up packages for you when you are not home.
- Consider installing a security camera to monitor and record motion at your front door.