Humboldt Bay Fire press release:

On 11/15/2020 at 1:26 A.M. Humboldt Bay Fire was dispatched to a reported structure fire on the 3200 Block of Q Street.

The first arriving engine company found moderate smoke coming from the front and rear of the a single family residence. Fire personnel entered the structure and located fire in a water heater utility room.

Additional personnel searched the structure and surrounding area and found that the occupant had self-evacuated with her pet prior to the fire department’s arrival. Humboldt Bay Fire personnel had the fire controlled within 15 minutes. The damage was limited to the water heater utility room and the laundry room that the fire had burned into.

The investigation determined that the fire was accidental and originated in the water heater utility room. Fire officials could not determine if the water heater malfunctioned, had been installed improperly, or if combustibles had been stored too close to the water heater.

Damage was estimated at $5,000. There were no injuries to civilians, fire personnel, or animals. Humboldt Bay Fire wants to remind everyone to maintain adequate clearance around heating appliances and electrical service rooms.