Press release from Humboldt Bay Fire:

At 0240 early Monday morning, December 5th 2022, Humboldt Bay Fire units including 3 engines, a ladder truck, and two duty chiefs, were dispatched to a structure fire in a residential structure at 4800 block of Meyers Avenue in Eureka. Additional information indicated an occupant may be trapped inside.

The first arriving unit was quickly on scene and reported a working fire in a single-story residence. The crew accessed the fire room and located an unconscious victim in a bedroom, whom they quickly removed from the house. Care was transferred to the second arriving unit so fire attack could re-enter the house and extinguish the fire. CPR was immediately begun on the victim, as well as three pets that were also located in the bedroom. Crews quickly controlled the fire and kept it contained to a single bedroom. The fire residence was an additional dwelling unit in a converted garage that was attached to the main house. The three occupants of the main house were able to evacuate and were not injured in the incident.

Additional arriving units established a water supply, ventilated smoke from the house, and assisted with medical care. CPR was continued on the patient with HBF Paramedics and City Ambulance personnel who arrived on scene. Two pets were transported to Myrtle Avenue Vet by HCSO deputies for emergency treatment. Unfortunately, the patient and one of the pets were overcome by smoke in the house and were unable to be resuscitated. Our deepest condolences to the family for their loss.

After approximately 30 minutes, the fire was completely extinguished. PG&E was notified and disconnected gas and power to the building. The fire originated in the bedroom in a wastebasket and appeared to be accidental in nature but the exact cause could not be determined.

Damage was estimated at $80,000. There were no injuries to fire personnel on scene. Humboldt Bay Fire would like to thank its allied partners for their assistance during this incident. Samoa Fire District, and Arcata Fire District helped to ensure the safety of the HBF community while our resources were committed. Additionally, we would like to thank PG&E, HCSO, Myrtle Avenue Veterinary Hospital, and City Ambulance.

We would like to remind folks to be extra careful at this time of year with candles, heating sources, holiday lights and ornaments. Do not leave open flames unattended and do not overload outlets with multiple plugs. We wish all a safe holiday season.