# # #
Press release from the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office:
The Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office has identified and contacted the individual seen on security footage causing a vegetation fire Tuesday in Manila.
The case remains under investigation and no arrests have been made at this time. Upon completion of the investigation, the case will be forwarded to the District Attorney’s Office for review and potential prosecution.
The Sheriff’s Office would like to thank the community for their assistance in this investigation.
Approximately 95% of all wildfires in California are caused by human activity. Humboldt County is currently experiencing severe drought conditions and is entering into the warmest and driest months of the year. The community is urged to use extra caution this wildfire season by taking a few simple steps:
- Do not discard lit cigarettes on the ground.
- Build a safe campfire and make sure it is completely out before you leave.
- Avoid driving or parking over dry grass.
- Properly maintain vehicle’s breaks and tire pressure, and ensure there are no dragging parts.
- Practice safe towing by securing chains and properly maintaining your trailer.
- Check conditions and regulations before you use fireworks or consider safe alternatives.
Anyone with information about this case or related criminal activity is encouraged to call the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office at (707) 445-7251 or the Sheriff’s Office Crime Tip line at (707) 268-2539.