- COVID cases worldwide: 636 million (about 8% of global population); deaths: 6.6 million (about 1% of cases)
- 1918 Spanish flu cases worldwide: 500 million (about 33% of the global population at the time); deaths: 50 million (about 10% of cases)
Births and deaths
- 1950: 92 million births, 14.4 million deaths (15%)
- 2016: 141 million births, 4.2 million deaths (3%)
- 2007-2016: 159,000 deaths by terrorism (three times that of previous ten year). By far the majority in Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, Nigeria and Pakistan.
- Terrorism deaths in “first world” countries: Less than 1,500 (about 1%)
Overall, terrorism accounts for about 0.05% deaths overall.
- 2016: 40 million commercial passenger flights, of which 10 crashed. (0.000025%)
Worldwide, coal + oil + gas accounts for 87% energy production
99.99% of babies fit into a binary category: males make (or have the potential to make) small mobile gametes (sperm); females have (or have the potential to make) larger, immobile gametes (eggs).
Every even number greater than 2 is the sum of two primes. Prove it and the $1 million Clay Prize is yours.
Your body is constantly replacing itself, but at different rates.
- Epidermis (outer skin cells): every 2-4 weeks
- Women’s hair: every 6 years
- Men’s hair: every 3 years
- Liver cells: Replaced 150-500 days
- Stomach and intestines: Cells lining these organs only last up to 5 days
- Bones: 10 years
- Cerebral cortex (memory, thought, language, attention, consciousness): Never
According to Aldaron Laird (2013), our local sea level rise is greater than anywhere else in California, Since 1977, SLR at the North Spit has been 4.74 mm/year, or 18.6 inches per century.
Farthest human-made object
Voyager 1 (launched August 20, 1977): 14.8 million miles from Earth (22 hours for radio signals to travel between Earth and the spacecraft).
- Fully recognized members of the United Nations: 193
- Permanent UN “observers”: 2 (Palestine and Vatican)
Also: Kosovo (recognized by 98 UN members) and Taiwan (recognized by 15 UN members)
- Number of consecutive Sunday “Growing Old Ungracefully” posts: 410