Daily COVID Report / April 22
COVID REPORT: Thirty-Eight (38) New Cases Today; Recent Boom Associated With ‘Superspreader Event,’ Joint Information Center Says
Press release from the Humboldt County Joint Information Center:
Thirty-eight new cases of COVID-19 were reported in Humboldt County today, bringing the total number of county residents who have tested positive for the virus to 3,697. With one day left to report, 110 cases have been reported this week.
Case information compiled by Public Health suggests the majority of recently reported cases are part of a single outbreak associated with one or more superspreader events.
Identifying cases to contain outbreaks prevents spread of disease to the broader community. Anyone who believes they have been exposed or are symptomatic is encouraged to get tested for COVID-19. Even those without symptoms can spread the virus.
No-cost walk-in testing is available seven days a week, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., at Redwood Acres in Eureka.
Residents age 2 and older can be tested. Additional locations are available each weekday throughout the county.
See the full schedule below:
- Eureka – Seven days a week, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. (Redwood Acres, 3750 Harris St.)
- Arcata – Mondays, 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (Arcata Community Center, 321 M.L.K. Jr. Pkwy.)
- Garberville – Tuesdays, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (SoHum Health Sprowl Creek Campus, 286 Sprowl Creek Road)
- Fortuna – Wednesdays, 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (River Lodge Conference Center, 1800 Riverwalk Dr.)
- Hoopa – Thursdays, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (Tsewenaldin Inn, 12482 CA-96)
- McKinleyville – Fridays, 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (Azalea Hall, 1620 Pickett Road).
To schedule, go to lhi.care/covidtesting, or call 888-634-1123. Turnaround time for results averages 48 to 72 hours.
Testing is important regardless of vaccination status. COVID-19 vaccines have been shown to prevent severe illness in the relatively small number of people who have become infected after being vaccinated. Vaccination appointments are available at the Arcata Community Center this week, and walk-in hours are scheduled each day from 6 to 7 p.m. Spanish and English speakers are available at every clinic.
All county residents age 16 and older can register, although 16- and 17-year-olds can sign up only for the Pfizer vaccine. Minors must have proof of age and be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
The following clinics and vaccines are available by appointment and for walk-ins.
- Today — Pfizer (16 and older)
- Friday — Moderna (18 and older)
- Saturday — Pfizer (16 and older)
- Sunday — Moderna and Pfizer (16 and older).
For specific appointment dates, times and to sign up, visit MyTurn.ca.gov.
Health officials continue to encourage preventive measures such as mask wearing, physical distancing and handwashing whether a person is fully vaccinated. Guidelines for public and private events and gatherings remain in place. Read more here: cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/Guidance-for-the-Prevention-of-COVID-19-Transmission-for-Gatherings-November-2020.aspx.
Some Safeway, CVS Pharmacy, Rite Aid, Walgreen’s and Walmart locations are offering COVID-19 vaccination appointments. Learn who is eligible for vaccination and see if there are appointments available at one of these locations by clicking on the links below.
CVS Pharmacy: cvs.com/immunizations/covid-19-vaccine?icid=cvs-home-hero1-link2-coronavirus-vaccine
Rite Aid: https://www.riteaid.com/covid-19
Sign up for COVID-19 vaccination: MyTurn.ca.gov
Local COVID-19 vaccine information: humboldtgov.org/VaccineInfo
Humboldt County COVID-19 Data Dashboard: humboldtgov.org/Dashboard
Follow us on Facebook: @HumCoCOVID19
Humboldt Health Alert: humboldtgov.org/HumboldtHealthAlert
= historic data. All data from the Humboldt County Joint Information Center.
- 2 new hospitalizations.
- 3 new cleared cases.
- 1 case under investigation was determined as being acquired through travel.
- 3 cases under investigation were determined as being acquired through contact to another known case.
- 1 case under investigation was determined as being acquired through community transmission.
As of Monday, April 19
Humboldt Bay Area
By Zip Code
|Town||Zip||Cases per capita|
Data from CalREDIE. Zip codes not listed have experienced five cases or fewer. Zip code populations from the American Community Survey, 2018.