(All photos by Amy Sawyer Long)
Arcata Fire Protection District press release:
Arcata Fire District engines were dispatched to a travel trailer fire at 6:47 this morning. Engine 8217 responded out of the McKinleyville Fire Station and reported that a travel trailer on the property was fully involved in fire. Crews established a water supply from the hydrant with a large diameter hose line and began controlling the fire. Additional career and volunteer personnel responded to assist with extinguishing the blaze.
According to Asst. Chief Justin McDonald, “This was a really close call for the two people in the trailer. The trailer didn’t have a smoke alarm, so there was no early warning for them. A working smoke alarm can be the difference between escaping or dying in a fire.” The fire was controlled in about 20 minutes and firefighters remained at the scene until around 8:30 a.m.
The occupants of the barn said that they woke up “choking on smoke” and saw fire on the kitchen counter. Fire rapidly spread through the small travel trailer. No estimate of damage is available and the fire is believed to be the result of a candle left burning on a counter. The trailer did not have a working smoke alarm. There were no injuries to residents or firefighters. Three engines and 12 personnel responded to the scene with two additional engines staffed on standby at Arcata and Mad River stations. Humboldt Bay Fire provided a standby engine to assist with covering any additional emergencies.