UPDATE 3:09 PM: Help verify locations!
Some of these suggested trees have been sought but not found. Help pinpoint their location with a Google Map link, address or cross street!
MCK: Little Pond Street
MCK: Ocean West
EKA: 900 block of F
EKA: Bay st, near Faith Ctr Church
ARC: near Sushi Spot
FTNA: near Kome Sushi
So these Monkey Puzzle trees dot our ‘hoods and are so beautifully freaky. Let’s find them!
Officially known as Araucaria araucana, the Monkey Puzzle tree is native to the foothills of the Andes mountains, found largely in Chile and Argentina.
- Can live over 1,000 years
- Edible seeds (be careful, now)
- Enormous pinecones (females only)
- Leaves can last over a decade
- Fossilized MP trees date back over 60,000,000 years
- Endangered in its natural habitat
- Declared a national monumen by the Chilean Ministry of Agriculture
Who knows why there are so many puzzle trees in Humboldt?
Know where a Monkey Puzzle tree is? Leave it in the comments.
If you don’t have the exact address, a cross-street is totally fine.
Let’s do this!
View KHUM’s Monkey Puzzle Map in a larger map