Around noon, Humboldt Bay Fire responded to a residential fire in the 1600 block of Harrison in Eureka. Harrison was blocked for a little while. 

According to Shift Battalion chief Kent Hulbert, the small exterior fire most likely caused by a faulty extension cord. Hulbert said, “It caught the refrigerator on fire, damaged the deck and a little bit of the exterior siding.”

“It was fortunate it happened when [the residents] were up,” Hulbert said. “We had about 14 people working on the fire. It was controlled within the first five minutes of them getting there.”

The fire is estimated to have caused about $1500 damage.