Andrew Goff / Thursday, June 2, 2016 @ 12:36 p.m. / Community Services
Local Coastie Receives Award for Life Saving Badassery
US Coast Guard Sector Humboldt Bay release:
The Coast Guard awarded a Silver Life Saving Medal during a ceremony at Coast Guard Sector Humboldt Bay Thursday.
The Silver Lifesaving Medal was presented to Petty Officer 3rd Class Brent A. Alexander, an aviation maintenance technician currently assigned to Sector Humboldt Bay, for heroic action while rescuing a drowning man off the North Carolina Outer Banks October 2014.
During an evening walk along the shoreline while off duty Oct. 4, 2014, Alexander, an airman at the time of the rescue, observed a kayak adrift offshore. A man approached Alexander and explained that his son had fallen out of the kayak and was drifting in the ocean with only the light of a cell phone to signal his position as the evening got darker. Alexander, without regard to personal safety, spotted a light on the water and entered the rough ocean surf, swimming nearly 400 yards through strong Atlantic currents to rescue the 32-year-old male kayaker from drowning. His decision to quickly respond to the potentially deadly scenario prevented a family’s tragic loss and helped ensure the safety of the North Carolina Outer Banks community.
The Silver Lifesaving Medal was established by Act of Congress, approved June 20, 1874. It is awarded by the Commandant of the Coast Guard to any person who rescues, or endeavors to rescue, any other person from drowning, shipwreck or other peril of water.
PREVIOUS SECTOR HUMBOLDT BAY HEROICS:
- Neither Rain, Nor Winds, Nor Mountains Tall Can Stop Coast Guard Badasses From Saving 88-Year-Old Dinsmore Woman
- (VIDEO) Canoe Sinks Near Indian Island; Coast Guard Rescues Two Women and a Dog
- (VIDEO) Hiker Trapped on a Cliff Near Damnation Creek? This is a Job for Sector Humboldt Bay!
- Coast Guard Helivacs 79-Year-Old Woman With Injured Hip on the Banks of the Klamath
- Injured Sailor and Kid, Adrift at Sea With Broken Radio Gear, Rescued by Humboldt Bay Coast Guard Helicopter Crew
- 61-Year-Old Man Tumbles Down to the Beach at Patrick’s Point; Sector Humboldt Bay Conducts Helo Rescue
- More Coast Guard Badassery: Chopper, Night Vision Goggles Deployed to Save Man Stranded By Rising Eel River Waters
- Coast Guard Chopper Delivers Lunch to Stranded Boaters
- Injured Hiker Rescued From King Range Today by Coast Guard
- Coast Guard Rescues ‘Severely Dehydrated’ Lost Coast Hiker at Big Flat
- Local Coastie Receives Badass Honor
- Three Hikers Rescued by Coast Guard