Arcata Police Department press release:
In recent weeks the Arcata Police Department has received a number of calls regarding suspected IRS scam phone calls.
Residents have received calls from individuals representing themselves as employees of the Internal Revenue Service. The call instructs the recipient they are in violation of an unspecified tax law and they need to make an immediate payment to avoid arrest.
The APD would like to caution residents about these types of scams. The information below was taken from IRS website www.irs.gov
Telltale signs of a scam
The IRS (and its authorized private collection agencies) will never:
- Call to demand immediate payment using a specific payment method such as a prepaid debit card, gift card or wire transfer. The IRS does not use these methods for tax payments. Generally, the IRS will first mail a bill to any taxpayer who owes taxes. All tax payments should only be made payable to the U.S. Treasury and checks should never be made payable to third parties.
- Threaten to immediately bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have the taxpayer arrested for not paying.
- Demand that taxes be paid without giving the taxpayer the opportunity to question or appeal the amount owed.
Additional tips and information on avoiding scams of this is type is available at www.irs.gov
- Ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone.
RECENT PHONE SCAMS:
- More Phone Scammers Targeting Humboldt County Residents With Promises of Riches, Says Sheriff’s Office, Which Provides a Handy List of Tell-Tale Signs of a Scam
- Phone Scam! Phone Scam! Humboldt is Being Targeted by Another Dumb Phone Scam!
- Humboldt Phone Scammers Claim to Be Elderly Victims’ Grandchildren
- Another Day, Another Humboldt Phone Scam
- Scam Phone Calls are on the Rise and There’s Not Much We Can Do, Says EPD
- Beware the Humboldt DIRECTV Scam, Says Sheriff’s Office
- Man FedExes Phone Scammer $13k in Cash, Realizes His Mistake Just in Time
- Now the Phone Scammers Are Pretending to be From Redwood Memorial Hospital!