Andrew Goff / @ 3:37 p.m. / Fire

Faulty Refrigerator Suspected Cause of Early Morning Arcata Structure Fire


Arcata Fire District press release: 

Arcata Fire District responded to an early Saturday morning structure fire in the 5100 block of Heindon Road. Crews were notified at 2:44 am of a large shop on fire near Miller Lane. Knowing that this area of Heindon Road has no fire hydrants, three additional water-tenders were requested to the incident on the initial dispatch.

Upon the arrival of Engine 8211, crews reported heavy smoke showing from the building with some fire showing from the office windows on the first floor. The property owner was on scene attempting to extinguish the fire with a garden hose. Fire crews had the fire controlled within 11 minutes of the first arriving units; however, units remained on scene for two hours in order to complete overhaul and investigation duties. The cause of the fire was not intentional and was most likely caused by a faulty refrigerator. The building was estimated to sustained $50,000 in damage with another $9,000 in loss of contents.

Arcata sent two engines, a water-tender, one chief officer, and a logistics unit. Mutual aid was provided by one engine from Humboldt Bay Fire and a water tender from Blue Lake Fire District, Fieldbrook Fire District, and Westhaven Volunteer Fire Department. During the incident Samoa Peninsula Fire District and CalFire covered Arcata and McKinleyville stations.

Arcata Fire District would like to remind the public that a fire can grow and spread rapidly, so call 911 right away even if you think you can put out the flames on your own. By calling 911 first, the fire crews will already be on the way should the fire grow beyond your capabilities.


SHARE →


  (WHAT?)
CHOOSE YOUR COMMENT EXPERIENCE

© 2018 Lost Coast Communications Contact: news@lostcoastoutpost.com.