From the Eureka Police Department:

On 08-16-19 at about 9:57 am, Eureka Police Officers responded to the 500 block of West Harris for a possible assault call. The reporting party advised the Eureka Police Department Communications center that a US Mail Carrier told them to call “911”. The US Mail Carrier appeared to be in a confrontation with a female subject. There was an additional female subject on scene that appeared to have been assaulted.

Upon the officer’s arrival, it was determined that the female victim had been assaulted about the head by her daughter. A metal flashlight was used during the assault on the mother. The suspect, identified as Sarah Michelle Wentworth (34 years old), had fled into the residence and locked the doors. It was also determined that there was a rifle in the residence. The mother was transported to St. Joseph ER by City Ambulance for treatment to her injuries.

Officers secured a perimeter on the residence and attempted negotiations with Wentworth. After several minutes of unsuccessful contact with Wentworth, a Crisis Negotiator with Mental Health was requested and responded to the scene. While attempted notations took place, Detectives of the Eureka Police Department authored and obtained both an arrest warrant and search warrant for Wentworth, related to the assault.

Attempts at negotiating with Wentworth were made for over two hours, but she would not respond. At about 12:30 pm, it was determined that negotiations were not effective and the search and arrest warrants would be served. Officers entered the residence and took Wentworth into custody without incident. A rifle was also located and seized.

Wentworth was not injured during the arrest, but she was transported to St. Joseph ER for medical clearance for precautionary reasons. Wentworth was ultimately booked into the Humboldt County Correctional Facility on a charge of assault with a deadly weapon. She is being held on $35,000.00 bail.

This is an ongoing investigation and further details will be released as appropriate.


From Eureka Police Chief Steve Watson: