Photos: HBF

Humboldt Bay Fire release:

Just after 9:00PM on Thursday, August 22nd, Humboldt Bay Fire was dispatched to the Best Western at 3500 Broadway St.

Crews arrived and were alerted to smoke and flames pushing out of the left side of the building by several guests who had evacuated the building.

At this time, we believe the fire originated in the walls of the sauna as a result of a faulty heating unit. Thankfully, the sprinkler in the fitness room was operating properly and was activated to release water as designed.

Crews evacuated the building and were able to extinguish the remaining smoke and flames.

There were no injuries, and damage was confined to the fitness room area at an approximation of $20,000.

After working with PG&E to secure power and gas and with hotel maintenance staff to secure fire watch, guests have been allowed to return to their rooms safely.

At this time, Humboldt Bay Fire would like to remind the public to evacuate immediately upon hearing a fire alarm sound and treat every alarm as if there was a fire. Never hesitate in calling the fire department to investigate an alarm and ensure safety.

We would like to thank Arcata Fire DistrictSamoa Peninsula Fire DistrictLoleta Volunteer Fire Dept,, HBF Volunteers, HBF Fire Support, and PG&E for their assistance on scene and in providing district coverage.