Press release from Humboldt Bay Fire:
On March 24th, 2019 at 12:04 P.M., Humboldt Bay Fire responded to a fire in the garage of a home on the 1900 block of 18th St with three fire engines, one fire truck, two chief officers, and one Public Information Officer.
Eureka Police Department was requested in order to make contact with two civilians impeding fire operations.
An occupant was home at the time of the fire, but was able to make it out safely without any injuries.
Firefighters quickly located the fire and achieved fire control within 10 minutes, preventing fire spread to the rest of the home. During fire operations, a butane hash oil operation was identified in the garage.
Fire and water damage is estimated at $10,000.
The preliminary cause of the fire appears to be improperly disposed of linseed oil- covered rags, which can be flammable. At this time, it does not appear that the hash oil operation is involved in the cause of the fire.
Humboldt Bay Fire would like to thank the Eureka Police Department, Arcata Fire District, and PG&E for their assistance.
Humboldt Bay Fire would like to remind the public that, in the event of a fire, get out and stay out in order to keep yourself safe and allow firefighters to perform their essential functions.
Another press release from Humboldt Bay Fire:
On March 24th, 2019 at 1:51P.M., Humboldt Bay Fire responded to a fire in the attic of a home on the 1400 Block of B St. with three fire engines, one fire truck, two chief officers, and one Public Information Officer.
The family and their pets were home at the time of the fire, but were able to make it out of the house safely without injury.
Firefighters located the fire in the attic, which residents had already put out with a fire extinguisher, and ensured there was no extension to the rest of the home.
The cause of the fire appears to be an electrical malfunction associated with a phone charger or outlet.
Fire damage was confined to one wall and is estimated to be under $1,000.
Humboldt Bay Fire would like to remind the public not to utilize extension cords in lieu of permanent wiring and to ensure that all areas of your home are covered by working smoke detectors.