North Coast Unified Air Quality Management District:
Several fires continue to impact our region with smoke: Red Salmon Complex, August Complex, Slater Fire, Elkhorn/Hopkins Fire, and Oak Fire, as well as numerous other fires in Oregon. USFS Air Resource Advisors (ARAs) are assigned to LRA fires impacting our area, provide daily smoke outlook forecasts that advise these notifications within our jurisdiction.
Continued fire growth and smoke production is expected to continue today on the Red Salmon Complex. The ARA assigned to the fire indicates that smoke from the fire will combine with the Slater Fire and others, and poor air quality will continue today to persist in the regions close to the fire. Smoke from the Red Salmon Complex will combine with other fires in the area which could keep the levels in the Very Unhealthy and Hazardous AQI range, depending on proximity to the fires. An Air Quality ALERT has been issued for Gasquet, Orleans, and Weitchpec, which are forecast to have Hazardous conditions from smoke impacts given their proximity to the fire. Air quality monitors for these communities can be viewed at https://fire.airnow.gov.
Weather conditions and fire activity will continue to push smoke from southern fires (August Complex, Oak Fire, and Elkhorn/Hopkins) to impact the communities in Southern Humboldt and Trinity County. The ARA on the fire indicates that fire continues actively burning, both along the perimeter and in large interior pockets. Fire activity is expected to remain high with critically dry fuels and no overnight moisture recovery tonight. Shading from dense smoke is moderating fire behavior somewhat. Slightly stronger southerly winds may bring some gradual improvements today, with southwesterly winds continuing the slow clearing trend tomorrow.
Humboldt County – Air Quality ADVISORY issued today for Eureka (including Rio Dell to Trinidad), Hoopa, Willow Creek, Garberville, and Redway areas; Air Quality ALERT was issued for Orleans, Weitchpec
- Eureka (including Rio Dell to Trinidad) – Unhealthy conditions likely
- Orleans – Mostly Hazardous conditions likely.
- Weitchpec – Mostly Hazardous conditions likely.
- Hoopa – Very Unhealthy conditions likely.
- Willow Creek – Very Unhealthy conditions likely.
- Garberville & Redway and nearby communities – Unhealthy with periods of Very Unhealthy conditions.
Del Norte County – Air Quality ADVISORY issued today for Crescent City, Klamath; Air Quality ALERT was issued today for Gasquet.
- Crescent City – Unhealthy conditions likely.
- Gasquet – Hazardous conditions due to proximity to fire.
- Klamath – Unhealthy conditions expected
Trinity County - Air Quality ADVISORY issued today for Weaverville, Hayfork, and Ruth, Zenia-Kettenpom, Trinity Pines areas.
- Weaverville and surrounding communities – Mostly Unhealthy, Very Unhealthy to Hazardous conditions in afternoon.
- Hayfork – Mostly Unhealthy, Very Unhealthy to Hazardous conditions in afternoon.
- Ruth, Zenia-Kettenpom, Trinity Pines - Unhealthy to Very Unhealthy conditions.