Press release from the Wiyot Tribe:
Loleta— 06/14/2021 — The Wiyot Tribe received $4,666,262.59 on June 9 from the recovery American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (ARPA) – Treasury’s Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds.
The Tribal Council voted on June 9 to provide an immediate $7,000 in direct relief assistance to every Wiyot citizen. Congress has allocated Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds to tens of thousands of eligible states, local, territorial and Tribal governments.
These allocations include:
The Wiyot Tribe has been closely monitoring the global COVID-19 global pandemic. The Tribe continues to work with local, state, and federal agencies to reduce the likelihood of introduction of the virus into our communities.
In response to the novel Coronavirus COVID-19 global pandemic, the Tribe declared a State of Emergency and implemented community mitigation strategies to maintain critical infrastructure, prevent the introduction of COVID-19 into the local community and slow the spread of the virus on March 16, of 2020.
To date the Wiyot Tribe had one confirmed COVID-19 case at Table Bluff Reservation in January of 2021. The case identified was a staff member, detected through regular staff testing. Once identified, the Tribe tested all staff and issued a 10-day quarantine. No further cases were detected, which was attributed to adherence to the ongoing mitigation plan.
Several Wiyot Tribal citizens living off Reservation have reported testing positive for COVID-19 but statistical data specific to Wiyot Tribal citizens is not available.
Many Tribal citizens have reported need for economic relief due to the COVID-19 global pandemic due to increase food/internet/utility costs, work layoffs and being unable to work due to the school and childcare closures.
Tribal Council voted to release the funds immediately to help support the families who are struggling right now.
Timeline and summary of Wiyot COVID-19 Assistance to Tribal Citizens:
- March 16, 2020 - Wiyot Tribe declares State of Emergency, Implementation of Community Mitigation strategies due to COVID-19 Global Pandemic Health Emergency. Wiyot staff began delivering breakfast and lunch to all youth living on the Reservation Monday through Friday (continued through school closure). Also delivered school packets to youth. Wiyot staff began delivering breakfast and lunch to all elders living on the Reservation Monday through Friday.
- March 17, 2020- Tribal members with children, became eligible to receive $150 administered to California Tribal TANF. Non-Recurring short-term benefit for Crisis Services due to COVID-19 for families with children, not receiving cash aid, income 300% of poverty limit.
- The Wiyot Tribe received a donation of 16 bags of sanitation supplies valued at $30.00 from Bear River Band of Rohnerville which were distributed to the eldest 16 members of the Tribe living on the Reservation.
- March 18, 2020- On Reservation Elders Lunch participants received food and pet supplies as needed purchased by the title VI program through a grant from Bear River Band of Rohnerville Rancheria, received and distributed $1000.00 to on Reservation Elders in food/supplies/pet food
- March 20, 2020- Wiyot Tribal Council waived all water garbage fees to on-reservation residents Resolution 20-08 for the months January-June of 2020
- April 30, 2020-Wiyot Tribe began distribution of 169 shelf stable food boxes to elders through the Title VI Food program.
- May 15, 2020- the Wiyot Tribe distributed $50 gift cards to all Tribal members to purchase COVID-19 Supplies, at a $32,000.00 cost to Tribe.
- June 11, 2020-The Wiyot Tribe received $264,970.85. Each Tribal Citizen received $511.75 General Welfare Payment.
- July 14, 2020-The Wiyot Tribe distributed $300 gift card to every Tribal Citizen purchased through a grant from the Tribal Nations COVID-19 Grant.
- July 14, 2020-The Wiyot Tribe received CARES ACT 2nd Round Tribe Received $199,097.04 and $ 62,872.74 for a total of $261,969.78 in the second round. Each Tribal citizen received a $502.73 General Welfare Payment.
- July 15, 2020- The Tribe dispersed reusable masks and Hand Sanitizer to all tribal members.
- September 17, 18, 26, 17, 2020, October 3, 04, 2020, November 23, 24, 28, 29, 2020, December 10, 11, 23, 24, 2020, January 09, 10, 2021, February 10, 11, 25, 26, 2021 provided COVID-19 Testing on the Reservation.
- September 22-21, 2020- The Tribe distributed 250 Food boxes in a drive through emergency Food box event on Broadway in Eureka and at Table Bluff Reservation.
- December 2020- Wiyot Census 2020 logo masks and hand sanitizers were distributed to all Tribal citizens.
- December 2020-The Tribe provided $190 (high school) and $170 (school age) additional school assistance to Wiyot school age youth.
- February 5, 2021 & March 6, 2020- The Tribe offered a vaccination Event with other Tribes through United Indian Health Services in Eureka, CA
- April 13, 2021- The Wiyot Tribe began the distribution of 140 Chromebooks and cases to school age youth, through a grant through Frontier Net.
- May 17, 2021- 60 COVID-19 Care kits with reusable bags, hand sanitizer, alcohol wipes, digital forehead thermometer, pulse oximeter, tissues, blood pressure monitor, and disposable masks were handed out to 60 elders in the title VI service area.
- May 18, 2021- Emergency pamphlet kits were sent to all Elders
- May 24, 2021-152 packets of masks, first aid kids were mailed to all tribal elders.
- May 27, 2021 (and every other week until further notice)- The Tribe is offering COVID-19 testing and Vaccines from 11 am to 1 pm in the table Bluff Reservation parking lot to community members.
- June 07, 2021- The Tribe began distribution of 60 air purifiers to elders in the Tribes Title VI Service area.
- June 07, 2021- The Wiyot Tribe began distribution of sanitation supplies to Tribal citizens.
- June 09, 2021- The Wiyot Tribe received $4,666,262.59, from the recovery American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (ARPA)– Treasury’s Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds and began the distribution of $7000.00 general welfare payments to Tribal citizens.