COVID-19 and Humboldt
Below: The Outpost’s stories on the novel coronavirus pandemic. Humboldt County has had only one confirmed patient at the time of this writing — Friday, March 13 — and that person has since recovered.
Still, as has happened everywhere in the world, the COVID-19 virus has altered daily life. Here’s the best information we have at the moment.
- Kids need food? The Humboldt County Office of Education maintains a list of pickup spots for free meals for children. Find it here.
- Unemployment, Disability, Paid Family Leave: California state government has relaxed certain regulations around unemployment, disability and paid family leave programs. If you’ve been affected by the coronavirus — if you’ve been laid off, or if you or your loved ones are in quarantined — you can apply for services immediately. See this FAQ from the Employment Development Department.
- Small business owners should check in with the North Coast Small Business Development Center, which is maintaining a mailing list and a list of federal, state and local resources to assist local businesses through the crises. See the SBDC’s COVID-19 page here.
- Restaurants: We are attempting to maintain a list of restaurants doing delivery, curbside pickup or something else new, due to the pandemic. Find it here.
- School Closures: All Humboldt County school campuses are currently closed. The Humboldt County Office of Education is keeping a list of them, including provisional reopening dates. Find it at this link.
- Event Cancellation: Here is a necessarily incomplete list of Humboldt County events that have been canceled due to the pandemic. At this point, it’s probably best to assume the event has been canceled, and it’s almost certainly better not to go to it in any case.
(VIDEO) Humboldt County Sheriff, Public Health Officer Answer Questions on Community Spread, the New Shelter-in-Place Order, Shutting Down the Airport and More
TUESDAY’S COVID NUMBERS: Six New Confirmed Cases Today; Total Number of Cases Confirmed in Humboldt Now 27
Questions About the New Shelter-in-Place Order? The County Has Some Answers
KANCELED! 2020 Kinetic Grand Championship Traditional Race Not Happening; Alternate Online Event Planned
Sen. Mike McGuire to Hold COVID-19 Telephone Town Hall Meeting Tomorrow Night
Eureka City Council Passes Moratorium on Evictions For Tenants Impacted by COVID-19 Pandemic
With Casino and Restaurants Shuttered, Blue Lake Rancheria Cranks Out Meals for Tribal Elders
EPD Suspends False Security Alarm Billing
(LIVE VIDEO) Humboldt County Officials Are Taking Your Questions on the COVID-19 Crisis
TODAY’s COVID NUMBERS: Three New Confirmed Cases Today; Total Number of Confirmed Humboldt Cases Stands at 21
Updated ‘Shelter-in-Place’ Order Closes Hotels, Motels, AirBNBs to Tourists; New Limits Placed on Gatherings in Public Areas
Sheriff Billy Honsal Officially Declares a Local Emergency in Humboldt County; Announcement Follows Previous ‘Health Emergency’ Declaration
LoCO Q & A: An Arcata Restaurant Manager Shares Her Experience During the Pandemic
(VIDEO) Here is Your Monday Morning, Socially Distanced School Bulletin From Zane Middle School. Go Falcons!
Sunday, March 29
Redwood National and State Parks Parking Areas Closed to Prevent Spread of COVID-19
Saturday, March 28
TODAY’s COVID-19 REPORT: Four More Cases Confirmed Throughout the County; Total Confirmed Cases Rise to 18
Humboldt County Office of Emergency Services Distributes Thousands of Pieces of Personal Protective Equipment Across the County
Humboldt State Staff, Faculty and Alumni Developed 1,250 COVID-19 Test Kits
Friday, March 27
(UPDATED) Two Additional COVID-19 Cases Confirmed Today; Total Number Humboldt County Confirmed Cases Now Stands at 14
Trinidad Passes Moratorium on Short-Term Rentals During COVID-19 Outbreak; County May Consider a Similar Move
(VIDEO) Humboldt County’s Public Health Officer Answers Questions on Our Medical Capacity, the Shelter-in-Place Order, Local Cases Already Diagnosed and More
TOWN HALL: Key Local Government Leaders Will be Taking Your Questions in a Virtual Town Hall Meeting Monday Night
City of Eureka Explains Eviction Moratorium That the Council Will Consider on Monday
(VIDEO) Humboldt Stays Home
Property Taxes Due April 10, But Tax Collector May Waive Late Fees for Documented COVID-19 Hardships
Local Artist Creates ‘Flatten-the-Curve’ Graph With Stained Glass to Honor Community Sacrifices
Arcata City Council Passes Evictions Moratorium to Protect Tenants Impacted by COVID-19 Emergency
A Rio Dell Partnership is Getting Food to Seniors Throughout the Town, and They Could Use More Volunteers
Thursday, March 26
HUMBOLDT COVID-19 REPORT: March 26, 2020
Two More Local COVID-19 Cases Confirmed Today; One Patient Hospitalized Due to the Disease
At Special Supervisors Meeting, County Officials Give Update on Local Response to COVID-19 Outbreak
A Facebook Group Founded Locally is Sewing Homemade Medical Masks for Hospitals and Healthcare Workers Across the U.S.
HSU Classes Resumed in the Virtual Space Today, and the Administration Says the University is Continuing to Adapt to the Pandemic
North Coast Businesses Owners! Here is Your One-Stop Site With Advice and Resources to Help You Through the Crisis
Arcata City Council Special Online Meeting Tonight: Emergency Business Loans, Evictions Moratorium on Agenda
Humboldt Airports Remain Open During Shelter-In-Place
Wednesday, March 25
HUMBOLDT COVID-19 REPORT: March 25, 2020
Five Additional Humboldt People Test Positive Today, Bringing Total Number of Known Local COVID-19 Cases to 10; One Case May be Due to Community Spread
(VIDEO) Public Health Officer Dr. Teresa Frankovich Answers Questions About COVID-19 and the County’s Response
This Badass Humboldt Native Helped Orchestrate a Sting Operation That Recovered Thousands of Stolen Respirator Masks for a Global Humanitarian Aid Organization
SoHum Health Wants SoHum Seniors to Know That Lots of Services are Available, Through the Hospital and its Partners
Concerned Someone Isn’t Following the Shelter-in-Place Order? You Can Now Call Humboldt’s COVID Compliance Tip Line
Sheriff’s Office Suspends Public Visitation at the Jail to Prevent Spread of COVID-19
(PHOTOS) Social Distancing Comes to Eureka’s Free Meal
Child Care Centers Struggle to Cope With Changes While Providing Essential Service During COVID-19 Emergency
Tuesday, March 24
(VIDEO) ‘This is In Place for a Reason’: Sheriff Honsal Talks Enforcement of Humboldt’s Shelter-In-Place Order
HUMBOLDT COVID-19 REPORT: March 24, 2020
Fifth Confirmed Local COVID-19 Case; Third Case to be Confirmed Today
Looking to Be Helpful? Do the Easiest Thing You Can Do – Give Blood
HSU Sent Buses to Pick Up Students From L.A. and S.F., Where COVID-19 is Spreading, and Brought Them Back to Campus