Press release from the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office:
On May 3, 2022, at about 9 p.m., Humboldt County Sheriff’s deputies were dispatched to the Mad River Beach/Lanphere Dunes area near Arcata for the report of a lost hiker.
The hiker, a 30-year-old male, contacted the Sheriff’s Emergency Communications Center after becoming lost in the dunes around dusk. Deputies responded to the area and located the man in good health. Deputies escorted the man back to his vehicle without further incident.
As the days get longer and temperatures begin to warm, the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office urges the community to take extra precautions when hiking or recreating outdoors. Follow these tips to stay safe:
- Always hike with a group, or at least one other person, and stay together.
- Check the weather forecast before heading out to hike or camp and plan your trip accordingly.
- Know your skill level and physical capabilities-choose trails within your or your group’s ability.
- If doing a day hike, know what time the sun begins to set. Research the trail ahead of time and anticipate how long it will take to hike. Begin hiking early so that you will have plenty of daylight to get back.
- Inform someone of your travel plans-let them know where you are going, your planned route, when you plan to return and emergency numbers to call if you do not return at the scheduled time.
- Bring a charged cell phone with you in case of emergencies, but do not rely on cell service in all areas.
- Bring a flashlight, warm clothes, high energy snacks and water, in case your hike goes longer than expected.
- If you get lost, stop where you are and assess the situation. Try to determine your location. If you are sure you can get yourself out using a map and compass, do so-otherwise stay put.