WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, June 25, 2018 @ 8:14 a.m.
Weed Feed: Canada Edition
Canada’s federal government discussing the bill earlier this year.
Canada is officially the second country to pass a bill legalizing marijuana nationwide.
The Canadian Senate passed the federal bill last week with a vote of 52-29. The New York Times reports that the bill still needs to be approved by the governor-general — a representative of Queen Elizabeth — but that this step is only a formality in Canadian government.
Oh, Canada | Graphic by John Ferrara.
“We’ve just witnessed a historic vote for Canada, the end of 90 years of prohibition,” Canadian Senator Tony Dean, who sponsored the bill, is quoted as saying in the NYT.
Canada’s provincial governments will now spend the next eight to 12 weeks working out retail logistics before the new law officially goes into effect.
“It’s been too easy for our kids to get marijuana - and for criminals to reap the profits,” Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweeted last Tuesday. “Today, we change that. Our plan to legalize & regulate marijuana just passed the Senate. #PromiseKept.”
Meanwhile, in the U.S. — where nine states and Washington D.C. have legalized recreational marijuana, and 30 allow for medical use — there is a strong push in the Senate to pass the States Act, a newly introduced bill that would end America’s marijuana prohibition.
Besides Canada, Uruguay is the only other country to have legalized marijuana at the federal level.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- January 16 Show
- December 19 Show
- November 21 Show
- October 17 Show
- September 19 Show
- August 15 Show
- July 18 Show
- June 20 Show
From the Outpost
- Arcata Might Soon Have Two New Places to Buy Legal Weed, Including Pacific Paradise
- Local Cannabis Company Taking Over the Ol’ Kmart Building in Eureka
- (UPDATE) Oregon Marijuana Company Leases 16,000-Square-Foot Bien Padre Factory in Eureka
- Humboldt Man Found Pushing Dolly Full of Weed East on Wyoming Highway
- 16,000 Pounds of Marijuana Seized, Over 30 People Detained at Grow Site East of Honeydew
- Ohio Man Arrested After Deputies Discover 500+ lbs. of Weed, Rifles with High-Capacity Magazines in Weaverville Commercial Building
- CANNABIS CARES: Local Cannabis Businesses Brave Pre-Thanksgiving Rain to Serve Area Homeless
- County Assesses $4.5M in Penalties for Illegal Weed Cultivation, But Don’t Expect Anyone to Pay Up
- High Times News: Cannabis Legalization Could Help Fund Education Needs In Maryland
- Marijuana Business Daily: Arkansas announces first medical marijuana dispensary licenses
- Marijuana Business Daily: Chart: Illinois medical marijuana sales strong ahead of opioid alternative program
- Leafly: Hit This: The Leafly Weekly Agenda for Jan. 21-27
- Cannabis Law Report: State by State: Arizona,Arkansas, Florida, Hawaii, Michigan, North Dakota, South Carolina, US Virgin Islands, Utah, Washington, West Virginia
- High Times News: Arizona Saw 41 Percent Increase in Medical Marijuana Sales in 2018
- High Times News: Canadian Cannabis Activist Marc Emery Accused of Chronic Sexual Misconduct
- Marijuana Business Daily: ND medical cannabis market inches onward as state hands out patient cards
- High Times News: Canopy Growth Expands Global Presence by Acquiring New York Hemp License
- Leafly: This Week in Cannabis: Top Stories From Across Canada From Jan. 11-18