WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, June 25 @ 8:14 a.m.
Weed Feed: Canada Edition
Canada’s federal government discussing the bill earlier this year.
Canada is officially the second country to pass a bill legalizing marijuana nationwide.
The Canadian Senate passed the federal bill last week with a vote of 52-29. The New York Times reports that the bill still needs to be approved by the governor-general — a representative of Queen Elizabeth — but that this step is only a formality in Canadian government.
Oh, Canada | Graphic by John Ferrara.
“We’ve just witnessed a historic vote for Canada, the end of 90 years of prohibition,” Canadian Senator Tony Dean, who sponsored the bill, is quoted as saying in the NYT.
Canada’s provincial governments will now spend the next eight to 12 weeks working out retail logistics before the new law officially goes into effect.
“It’s been too easy for our kids to get marijuana - and for criminals to reap the profits,” Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweeted last Tuesday. “Today, we change that. Our plan to legalize & regulate marijuana just passed the Senate. #PromiseKept.”
Meanwhile, in the U.S. — where nine states and Washington D.C. have legalized recreational marijuana, and 30 allow for medical use — there is a strong push in the Senate to pass the States Act, a newly introduced bill that would end America’s marijuana prohibition.
Besides Canada, Uruguay is the only other country to have legalized marijuana at the federal level.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- July 18 Show
- June 20 Show
- May 16 Show
- April 18 Show
- March 21 Show
- February 21 Show
- January 17 Show
- December 20 Episode
From the Outpost
- Unpermitted Marijuana Grow Raid in Rancho Sequoia; 1,336 Plants Eradicated
- 8,855 Marijuana Plants Eradicated at Unpermitted Grow Near Humboldt County Line
- Rio Dell Police Raid Unpermitted Marijuana Grow, Eradicate Hundreds of Marijuana Plants
- Two Unpermitted Marijuana Grows Raided in SoHum; 6,697 Plants Eradicated
- Drug Enforcement: One Week, 12 Search Warrants, Almost 50k Marijuana Plants Destroyed
- Your Daily Unpermitted Humboldt Marijuana Grow Raid Update: Four SoHum Parcels Searched; 22,427 Plants Eradicated
- One Arrested for Illegal Marijuana Cultivation During Latest Round of DEU Raids in SoHum; 14,289 Plants Eradicated
- Four Search Warrants Served on SoHum Parcels with Unpermitted Marijuana Grows
- Marijuana Business Daily: Dispensary on Hawaii’s Big Island approved to cultivate medical marijuana
- Leafly: What Are You Smoking? Episode 49: Cannabis in the Lab at Avitas
- High Times News: At Least 25 People Overdosed on K2 in New Haven, Connecticut This Morning
- Marijuana Business Daily: U.S. ancillary cannabis company Kush Bottles expands into Canada
- Leafly: Shopping List: What To Buy at California’s Epic ‘Local Sesh’ This Weekend
- Marijuana Business Daily: Michigan lawmakers call for extension to prevent potential medical cannabis calamity
- Cannabis Culture: Canadian Medical Association Shouldn’t Give Cannabis Cold Shoulder
- Cannabis Culture: Making Room for Women in the Marijuana World
- Leafly: Major Hotelier Joie De Vivre Courts the Cannabis Curious
- Marijuana Business Daily: Constellation to invest up to CA$9.5 billion in Canadian cannabis giant Canopy Growth