WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, June 25 @ 8:14 a.m.
Weed Feed: Canada Edition
Canada’s federal government discussing the bill earlier this year.
Canada is officially the second country to pass a bill legalizing marijuana nationwide.
The Canadian Senate passed the federal bill last week with a vote of 52-29. The New York Times reports that the bill still needs to be approved by the governor-general — a representative of Queen Elizabeth — but that this step is only a formality in Canadian government.
Oh, Canada | Graphic by John Ferrara.
“We’ve just witnessed a historic vote for Canada, the end of 90 years of prohibition,” Canadian Senator Tony Dean, who sponsored the bill, is quoted as saying in the NYT.
Canada’s provincial governments will now spend the next eight to 12 weeks working out retail logistics before the new law officially goes into effect.
“It’s been too easy for our kids to get marijuana - and for criminals to reap the profits,” Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweeted last Tuesday. “Today, we change that. Our plan to legalize & regulate marijuana just passed the Senate. #PromiseKept.”
Meanwhile, in the U.S. — where nine states and Washington D.C. have legalized recreational marijuana, and 30 allow for medical use — there is a strong push in the Senate to pass the States Act, a newly introduced bill that would end America’s marijuana prohibition.
Besides Canada, Uruguay is the only other country to have legalized marijuana at the federal level.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- October 17 Show
- September 19 Show
- August 15 Show
- July 18 Show
- June 20 Show
- May 16 Show
- April 18 Show
- March 21 Show
From the Outpost
- Endangered Frog Found, 1,518 Marijuana Plants Eradicated During Raid at Unpermitted SoHum Grow
- Humboldt Sheriff’s Office Releases 2018 Weed Raid Stats: 65 Operations, 198,692 Plants Eradicated, $3M Seized
- 2,139 Marijuana Plants Eradicated at Unpermitted Grow in SoHum
- 4,671 Marijuana Plants Eradicated at Unpermitted Grow Ops in SoHum
- Unpermitted SoHum Marijuana Grow Raided; 4,988 Plants Eradicated
- THE HOBELMANN REPORT: Cannabis Commerce Descends On Fortuna at HCGA’s ‘Meet the Buyers’ Event
- One Arrested, 10,211 Plants Eradicated During Marijuana Grow Raid Near Dinsmore
- Big SoHum Marijuana Grow Raid; 21,053 Plants Eradicated; Over 3,400 Pounds Destroyed
- Marijuana Business Daily: How THC-focused cannabis businesses can compete during the CBD boom
- High Times News: ‘Fox & Friends’ Hosts Blame Homelessness, Teen Drug Use on Legal Marijuana
- Cannabis Culture: High Demand: Cannabis Sales Stronger Than Expected in Quebec
- Cannabis Culture: Edmonton Girl Guide Sells Out of Cookies in Front of Cannabis Store
- High Times News: Canadian Company Launches Rolling Papers Printed with The Cannabis Act
- Marijuana Business Daily: Canadian marijuana producer Aphria aims to list on the New York Stock Exchange
- Leafly: Flying High: Aboard Canada’s First Cross-Country Flight With Cannabis
- Cannabis Culture: Marijuana Advocate Hands Out Free Joints to Celebrate Legal Cannabis at B.C. Legislature
- High Times News: 50 Pounds of Weed, 5 Pounds of Fentanyl Found in Suitcases in Nashville Airport
- Cannabis Culture: Cannabis Black Market Will Thrive Until Small Pot Growers and Sellers Are Included, Advocates Say