WEED FEED / John Ross Ferrara / Monday, June 25, 2018 @ 8:14 a.m.
Weed Feed: Canada Edition
Canada’s federal government discussing the bill earlier this year.
Canada is officially the second country to pass a bill legalizing marijuana nationwide.
The Canadian Senate passed the federal bill last week with a vote of 52-29. The New York Times reports that the bill still needs to be approved by the governor-general — a representative of Queen Elizabeth — but that this step is only a formality in Canadian government.
Oh, Canada | Graphic by John Ferrara.
“We’ve just witnessed a historic vote for Canada, the end of 90 years of prohibition,” Canadian Senator Tony Dean, who sponsored the bill, is quoted as saying in the NYT.
Canada’s provincial governments will now spend the next eight to 12 weeks working out retail logistics before the new law officially goes into effect.
“It’s been too easy for our kids to get marijuana - and for criminals to reap the profits,” Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweeted last Tuesday. “Today, we change that. Our plan to legalize & regulate marijuana just passed the Senate. #PromiseKept.”
Meanwhile, in the U.S. — where nine states and Washington D.C. have legalized recreational marijuana, and 30 allow for medical use — there is a strong push in the Senate to pass the States Act, a newly introduced bill that would end America’s marijuana prohibition.
Besides Canada, Uruguay is the only other country to have legalized marijuana at the federal level.
The Weed Feed is a weekly column written by John Ross Ferrara.
The Weed Feed is a one-stop shop for the best local and national cannabis news.
Each week, original content will be posted to the page, as well as various other stories from around the country.
These aggregated stories are organized into six separate sections. The News (basic news), The Biz (financial news), The Life (features), The Game (sports), The Fame (celebrity), and the Grub (food).
The Humboldt Chronicles
- May 15 Show
- April 17 Show
- March 20 Show
- February 20 Show
- January 16 Show
- December 19 Show
- November 21 Show
- October 17 Show
From the Outpost
- TODAY IN SUPES: Hemp Moratorium Reinstated
- County Ag Commissioner Accepting Hemp Registration Forms Ahead of Moratorium Vote
- Will a Lapse in the County’s Hemp Moratorium Inadvertently Open the Floodgates for Industrial Cultivation?
- County Looks to Extend Moratorium on Industrial Hemp Cultivation While Developing New Rules and Regulations
- Bone Thugs-N-Harmony’s Krayzie Bone Visits Humboldt for His New Weed Brand, Looks at Pretty Ocean Views
- Hoopa Election Board Rejects Controversial Ballot Measure About Cannabis Legalization
- County Approves ‘Cannabis Village’ With Onsite Sales and Consumption for Reggae on the River
- The Hoopa Valley Tribe Can’t Decide Whether to Allow Weed Cultivation, Nor Whether They Already Answered that Question
- Cannabis Law Report: Vireo Case To Proceed Says Court
- Leafly: Kansas Set to Allow Low-THC Cannabis Oil Beginning July 1
- Leafly: CBD Can Help Curb Heroin Cravings, New Study Finds
- Leafly: Meet Geraniol, the Sweet Cannabis Terpene With a Citrus Aroma
- High Times News: Colorado Supreme Court Rules Police Need Probable Cause Before Using Drug-Sniffing Dogs
- Leafly: Maine Hopes to Learn From Other States’ Cannabis Mistakes
- Leafly: The Hash #18: Dispensary Mythbusting With David Downs
- High Times News: Grateful Dead Drummer Mickey Hart Announces Launch of Cannabis Brand
- Marijuana Business Daily: State bankers associations urge US Senate to consider marijuana banking reform
- High Times News: Clark County, Nevada Will Use Money from Weed Businesses to Fight Homelessness