Your Lost Coast Outpost is now pleased to offer push notifications to the LoCO faithful. Want your phone or browser to buzz when we put up a new post, and/or when an earthquake strikes, and/or when Arcata or Fortuna police respond to a serious call, and/or when California Highway patrol dispatchers get word of a herd of cattle crossing the freeway?
As of now, we can make that happen for you!
Head on over to the LoCO Notifications settings page — or click the little bell icon on just about any page on the site — and follow the simple instructions. You can subscribe to different categories of notifications, or unsubscribe from the ones you’ve grown tired of. We are here to serve.
Unfamiliar with push notifications? It’s pretty simple. You can choose to have your browser alert to things happening on the Outpost even if you’re away from the Outpost at the time. A little window will pop up on your desktop machine, or in the background on your phone. Click it, and your browser will take you right to the thing.
Push notifications are available in all newish versions of Chrome, Firefox and Opera, including the Android versions of such browsers. Internet Explorer is out, but the newest version of Microsoft Edge is notification-ready. Sadly, the fine folks at Apple have not yet enabled web notifications on Safari, meaning that you can’t get LoCO notifications on your iPhone or iPad yet. The latest word is that they’re working on it.
What can you subscribe to? Here’s a rundown of the current state of affairs:
- POSTS: New articles on the Lost Coast Outpost. This is the default.
- EARTHQUAKES: When the ground shakes, your phone will shake shortly afterward with the details.
- CHPWATCH: New road incidents from CHP dispatch. Notifications for the incidents that appear here.
- SCANNER TRAFFIC INDICATES: Stuff heard on the scanner. The human-written entries on this page.
- ARCATA POLICE CALLS FOR SERVICE and FORTUNA POLICE CALLS FOR SERVICE: Only the major incidents from ARCATA PATROLLED and FORTUNA PATROLLED. Eureka coming soon, we’re told.
Problems? Critiques? Let’s hear ‘em. Is there another corner of the Outpost you’d like notifications for? Let us know!