Andrew Goff / Monday, Oct. 9, 2017 @ 1 p.m. / Fire
Monday Afternoon Map of Northern California Wildfires
Be patient. Map is loading.
The Outpost is continuing to monitor the fast-moving wildfires burning to our south in Sonoma, Mendocino, Napa and Yuba counties that are estimated to have destroyed thousands of homes and businesses while forcing tens of thousands of people to evacuate. The map above contains the latest information of extent of the fires available Monday afternoon from NOAA.
As for how this is affecting Humboldt, Highway 101 remains fully closed at Redwood Valley between Willits and Ukiah. Locals attempting to travel north/south should consider Highway 36 and Highway 1 as alternate routes.
AT&T phone and internet service is out for much of Humboldt County, likely due to fire damage to fiber optic lines. Numerous local agencies have reported telecommunication woes, perhaps most notably the Arcata Police Department which is
currently without 911 service (UPDATE: 911 is back).
- (VIDEO) Reader-Submitted Footage Shows Hills South of Willits Burning Along Hwy. 101
- State Wildfires Knock Out Local Phone Lines, Including Arcata’s 911 Service
- MENDO SHERIFF: One Fatality Reported as a Result of Redwood Valley Wildfire; Local State of Emergency Declared
- Caltrans: Highway 36 Construction Will Pause to Ease Traffic Redirected Due to Wildfires; Highway 20 Open For Now
- AT&T, Frontier Internet/Cell/Phone Service Down, Almost Certainly Due to Fiber Meltage From Mendo, Sonoma Fires
- WILDFIRES TO THE SOUTH: Highway 101 Closed Between Willits and Ukiah; Overnight Wildfires Put Large Swaths of Mendo, Lake and Sonoma Counties Under Evacuation
# # #