U.S. Coast Guard Sector Humboldt Bay release:
The Coast Guard rescued a stranded hiker three and a half miles north of the Klamath River mouth, Sunday.
The stranded hiker contacted Del Norte County Sheriff’s Office dispatchers around 2:30 p.m., reporting that he became stranded at the bottom of a 300-foot cliff near the Klamath River mouth while hiking the Damnation Creek Trail. The Del Norte County Sheriff’s Office contacted Coast Guard Sector Humboldt Bay watchstanders requesting assistance with a rescue helicopter hoist.
Sector Humboldt Bay watchstanders maintained contact with the stranded hiker via cell phone and dispatched a Sector Humboldt Bay MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew to the scene. The helicopter crew arrived on scene around 3:30 p.m. and located the hiker, who was on the rocks near the breaking surf waving a red flag.
“A layer of dense fog was rapidly moving into the area, requiring quick action by the helicopter crew,” said Lt. Audra Forteza, the Sector Humboldt Bay public affairs officer. “The dynamic situation required the crew to hover 250 feet above the stranded hiker to keep clear of the cliff face. A rescue swimmer was lowered to the hiker, using all available hoist cable.”
Once the rescue swimmer was safely on the ground, the helicopter hoist system experienced a malfunction. The helicopter crew quickly diagnosed the issue and was able to use emergency power to recover the stranded hiker and the rescue swimmer to the helicopter.
The hiker was flown to Sector Humboldt Bay where he was met by family members.
The hiker did not report any injuries.
# # #
PREVIOUS SECTOR HUMBOLDT BAY HEROICS:
- Some Folks Decided to Go Out a-Sailing During Weekend Storms, So Sector Humboldt Bay Rescued Their Sorry Asses
- Neither Rain, Nor Winds, Nor Mountains Tall Can Stop Coast Guard Badasses From Saving 88-Year-Old Dinsmore Woman
- (VIDEO) WATCH Sector Humboldt Bay Airlift Some Guy Stuck in the Mud Near Daby Island to Safety
- (VIDEO) Canoe Sinks Near Indian Island; Coast Guard Rescues Two Women and a Dog
- In the Dead of Night, Sector Humboldt Bay Rescues Two Crab Fisherman Stranded Aboard 100-Year-Old Boat Five Miles Out to Sea
- (VIDEO) Hiker Trapped on a Cliff Near Damnation Creek? This is a Job for Sector Humboldt Bay!
- Coast Guard Helivacs 79-Year-Old Woman With Injured Hip on the Banks of the Klamath
- Injured Sailor and Kid, Adrift at Sea With Broken Radio Gear, Rescued by Humboldt Bay Coast Guard Helicopter Crew
- 61-Year-Old Man Tumbles Down to the Beach at Patrick’s Point; Sector Humboldt Bay Conducts Helo Rescue
- More Coast Guard Badassery: Chopper, Night Vision Goggles Deployed to Save Man Stranded By Rising Eel River Waters
- Coast Guard Chopper Delivers Lunch to Stranded Boaters
- Injured Hiker Rescued From King Range Today by Coast Guard
- Coast Guard Rescues ‘Severely Dehydrated’ Lost Coast Hiker at Big Flat
- Local Coastie Receives Badass Honor
- Three Hikers Rescued by Coast Guard
- Sector Humboldt Bay Rescues Commercial Fishing Crew Taking on Water 8 Miles South of the Jetties
- (VIDEO) Four Sector Humboldt Bay Coasties Will Have Their Badassery Officially Recognized This Week