In a year full of them, this week would have to rank near the top of Humboldt’s weirdest-ever weeks. We made it through the orange crush, but fire to the east still sits right at the county’s doorstep and some residents remain under mandatory evacuation orders.
At this point, the portion of the Humboldt most-affected by the blazes is overseen by Second District Supervisor Estelle Fennell, who was kind enough to catch us up on the local fire response in the latest episode of Humboldt Holding Up — LoCO’s good-enough podcast. Click the audio player above to hear Estelle chat with Stephanie McGeary and Andrew Goff about current fire operations, how COVID-19 is impacting her district, the blessings/curses bestowed upon us by social media during disastrous times, and her reelection campaign.
Those topics and more for those unafraid to click above and/or check out previous episodes of Humboldt Holding Up below.
PREVIOUSLY ON HUMBOLDT HOLDING UP:
- Arcata Food Aficionado Jada Calypso Brotman
- Body Piercer Jackie Silva
- Dick Taylor Chocolate’s Adam Dick
- FUHS Teachers Mark Thom and Inma Thompson
- Eureka City Manager Miles Slattery
- Savage Henry Co-Founder Chris Durant
- Eureka Street Art Festival Organizer Jenna Catsos
- SCRAP Humboldt Founder Tibora Bea
- Gym Owner Tyler Parr
- Six Rivers Brewery Co-Owner Meredith Maier
- Multicultural Skincare Therapist Levia Love
- Annie’s Cambodian Server and Social Worker Joshua Coppock
- Eureka City Councilmember Austin Allison
- HSU Professor Deidre Pike
- Pastor Bethany Cseh
- Singer/Songwriter Chris Parreira
- Eureka City Councilmember Leslie Castellano
- Arcata City Councilmember Paul Pitino