The trial of a McKinleyville woman who drove her SUV through a crowd of Black Lives Matter protesters has been delayed again, this time until November.
This morning Judge Christopher Wilson granted Deputy District Attorney David Moutrie’s motion to continue the trial of Jessica Perkins, charged with misdemeanor reckless driving and the infractions of running a red light and failing to yield to pedestrians. The trial had been scheduled to begin Sept. 7. Moutrie said that among other issues, a prosecution witness may not be available next week. Trial is now set for Nov. 1, with a trial confirmation hearing on Oct. 18.
On June 11, 2020, Perkins drove her Honda Pilot through a group of BLM protesters who were crossing Central Avenue in McKinleyville on a green light. The SUV narrowly missed some pedestrians and people on horseback.
The District Attorney’s Office filed charges after the California Highway Patrol conducted a lengthy investigation. At the time of the incident, Perkins posted on The Outpost’s Facebook page that she never intended to hurt anyone. She had already been blocked at two traffic lights, she said, and she was trying to get to a pharmacy to pick up medicine for a child with a high fever. Deputy Conflict Counsel April Van Dyke, appearing in court for Perkins this morning, did not object to the continuance.
This is the fourth trial postponement for Perkins, 35. Continuances were also granted in October 2020, November 2020 and March of this year.
- McKinleyville ‘Stand Against Racism and Police Brutality’ Underway
- CHP Investigating Last Week’s Traffic Incident Involving a Driver That Nearly Hit Several Protesters and a Horse in McKinleyville
- District Attorney to Bring Reckless Driving Charges Against Person Who Drove Through Mass of McKinleyville Black Lives Matter Protesters in June
- TODAY in COURT: Suspect in Rio Dell Murder Turns Down Plea Bargain; Woman Accused of Driving Into Crowd of McK Protesters Pleads Not Guilty