Sierra Jenkins / Friday, Nov. 17 @ 7:14 a.m. / LoCO Video Reports
(VIDEO) Sharp-Disposal Kiosks Coming to Eureka; County’s Effort to Combat Loose Needles Will Put Safe Disposal Sites at Three DHHS Locations
Click video to play. Problems on iPhone? Turn your phone sideways.
The number of hypodermic needles being found on the streets of Humboldt — and specifically in Eureka — has become such a public health concern that the county has decided to take some action with a new needle collection program.
The program will kick off by installing three permanent sharps waste kiosks outside of various Department of Health and Human Services locations to provide the public a free and easy way to dispose of needles properly.
In this LoCO Video Report we find out more about the efforts from senior program manager Dana Murguia at the DHHS Healthy Communities Division.
RELATED VIDEO REPORTS:
- (VIDEO) Major Announcement Made at Tuesday’s Opioid Crisis Town Hall Meeting: McGuire Announces $4.8 Million in Funding for New Treatment Center
- (VIDEO) P.O.P. TEAM II: Dirty Needles and Mountains of Trash Have Become Perilous Problems in Eureka’s Public Places
- (VIDEO) P.O.P. TEAM: A Day With Eureka’s Problem Oriented Policing Unit, Illegal Encampments and Disorder Continue in the Greenbelt
- (VIDEO) CHANGING LIVES II: Open Door Patients Describe Their Recovery From Opioid Addition, Through Suboxone
- (VIDEO) CHANGING LIVES: Hundreds of Locals with Opioid Use Disorder are Finding Recovery Through Open Door’s Suboxone Programs
- (VIDEO) OVERDOSE AWARE: Eureka Business Shares Disturbing Account of Parking Lot Overdose In Effort to Spread Awareness and Spark Change
- (VIDEO) Humboldt County Keeps Overdosing, But the Number of Deaths Are Down — Probably Thanks to the Ready Availability of Naloxone
- (VIDEO) Humboldt’s Overdose Deaths Caused by Wide Variety of Drugs, But Numbers are Actually Down This Year
- (VIDEO) TAKE BACK EUREKA! Citizens Are at Their Wits’ End With Crime and Public Drug Use - Looking to Community Collaboration For Solutions
- (VIDEO) Police Chief Mills Attributes Eureka’s Rise in Violent Crime to Heroin and Unusual Amount of Guns
- (VIDEO) COMBATING HARM: Battling the Heroin Epidemic With the Humboldt Area Center for Harm Reduction