Hank Sims / Wednesday, April 25 @ 10:09 a.m. / Local Government
County Appoints Longtime Deputy as New Public Defender, Following Period of Turmoil at Office
From the County of Humboldt:
The County of Humboldt is pleased to announce Marek Reavis as its new Public Defender. Reavis was appointed by the Board of Supervisors on Tuesday after serving as the interim Public Defender since March 12 when he took over for Kaleb Cockrum, who was appointed to a judgeship by Gov. Jerry Brown.
Reavis has been working as a deputy public defender at the Conflict Counsel Office since 2006. He has conducted over 50 jury trials to verdict, including serious felonies and homicides. He came to Humboldt County after serving as a deputy public defender in both Siskiyou and Contra Costa County. Reavis received his law degree from University of California at Berkeley’s Boalt Hall and graduated from the University of Washington summa cum laude.
As Public Defender Reavis will work with other county departments, including Probation, the District Attorney’s Office, and law enforcement agencies to help develop long term solutions to the issues of poverty, substance abuse, and exploding mental health problems which collectively and increasingly challenge the community.
“I first came to Humboldt County from the Midwest in 1971 for a month long course at HSU,” Reavis said. “It was my first exposure to California and the vision of Humboldt County I had then never left me. The opportunity to live and work on the Lost Coast and doing this important work is something I could have only dreamed about then. I’m stoked to have this opportunity to serve our community.”
“Our Board is thrilled to have someone who can provide steady leadership in the Public Defender’s Office,” said Ryan Sundberg, 5th District Supervisor and Chair of the Board. “Our community is facing unprecedented challenges, and we need to make sure the Public Defender can help move us forward. Our indigent population needs and deserves top notch representation, and we believe Marek can provide that.”
- Supervisors Appoint New Public Defender After Questionable Hiring Process
- HARDIN: The County’s New Public Defender
- County Government Signals That it Will Stand By Its Recently Hired, Embattled Public Defender
- Humboldt County Board of Supervisors Issues Public Statement Defending Its Embattled Public Defender, Whom It Has Decided to Continue to Defend From the Public
- Defending the Defender: Judge Issues Ruling in Favor of County’s Controversial Public Defender Hire, but Victory Could Be Short-Lived
- Judge Rules Lawsuit Against Hiring of Humboldt Public Defender David Marcus Can Proceed
- Trial Date Set for Shawn Hof, Accused of Shooting at Warden
- Is Humboldt’s Public Defender Qualified for the Job? Visiting Judge Says She Will Issue a Ruling One Month From Today
- Judge Orders Embattled Public Defender to Answer For Attorney-Client Chaos in the Courthouse
- (UPDATED) With Embattled Public Defender David Marcus’s Sudden Resignation, Attorney Drops Lawsuit Against the County
- Here’s Former Humboldt County Public Defender David Marcus’s Letter of Resignation