The following is an email from Arcata Community Development Director David Loya:
The Arcata City Council voted against the proposed Village Student Housing Project as proposed in August of 2018. Council members opposed to the proposed project indicated they would consider approval if the project included a mix of housing for students and others, among other conditions. The project owner has reconsidered its development plans and has modified the project to include both open market and student oriented development. The project has changed in other substantive ways, as well.
The City staff will be hosting a meeting to share the project changes, take in stakeholder insights, and discuss the process for reconsideration of the project. The meeting will be held:
January 30, 2019
5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
City Council Chamber
736 F Street
While this is not a public hearing before the City Council, the meeting will be recorded and minutes taken to ensure the comments are appropriately reflected to the Council for its consideration. The video will be made available after the meeting for those who cannot make it. In addition to staff, the project owner will be at the meeting to answer questions.
The City Council will have the reconsideration on their February 6, 2019, Agenda. This will be a regular City Council meeting to take input on the decision to reconsider the project.
Materials that will be shared at the meeting will be available on our website soon at http://www.cityofarcata.org/704/Major-Development-Projects #5. I strongly encourage your participation, and hope to see you at the meeting.
- Private Affordable-Housing Developer Applies to Build New Off-Campus Housing for 800 HSU Students at Craftsman’s Mall Property
- ‘The Village’ Student Housing Plan Will Go Before Arcata City Council Tonight and Tomorrow
- HSU Has Announced a Partnership With AMCAL on ‘The Village’ Student Housing Development
- Arcata City Council Listens to Community Members’ Thoughts on ‘The Village’ Development; Sets Public Meeting to Tour the Property
- HSU Will Host a Public Meeting to Discuss ‘The Village’ Proposal
- Arcata City Council Takes a Tour of ‘The Village’ Site, Sets Public Hearing to Further Ponder the Proposed Student Housing Development
- (VIDEO) Arcata’s Controversial ‘The Village’ Housing Project Explained
- In Open Letter to Arcata Council, Former HSU President Says Approving ‘The Village’ Student Housing Project is a ‘Moral Obligation’
- (UPDATE) Arcata City Council Fails to Approve ‘The Village’ Student Housing Development, Killing the Project for Now