The preliminary hearing has been delayed until June for Cory Jordan Fisher Sr., a former Humboldt County correctional officer charged with molesting six young boys.
This morning, over the objection of Deputy District Attorney Stacey Eads, Judge Dale Reinholtsen granted a defense request to postpone the hearing, which is held to determine whether there is enough evidence to warrant a trial. Deputy Conflict Counsel Joe Judge, representing Fisher, said he needs more time for investigation and is not prepared for the hearing. It had been scheduled for tomorrow morning.
Reinholtsen and attorneys also held a private meeting to discuss unspecified documents related to Fisher’s case. Afterward, Reinholtsen announced he had determined those documents are not protected by the gag order in the case.
At a hearing on May 3, defense attorney Judge said the gag order was also preventing defense investigators from interviewing jail employees about Fisher, who worked in the facility for 11 years. Judge claimed employees had been threatened with firing if they spoke with investigators.
At that time Deputy County Counsel Natalie Duke, representing the Sheriff’s Department, said there was a misunderstanding about the gag order and that jail employees were being encouraged to speak with investigators if they choose.
There was no discussion today about Judge’s previous claim that Fisher, 31, is being mistreated in the jail. He is segregated from the facility’s general population.
The preliminary hearing, expected to last several hours, is now set for June 21.
- Former Humboldt County Correctional Officer Arrested on Numerous Child Sexual Abuse Charges
- Bail Set for Former Correctional Officer, Current Accused Child Molester; Preliminary Hearing Scheduled for Oct. 4
- Former Humboldt Correctional Officer’s Hearing on Child Molestation Charges Postponed to Next Month; Fisher Held in Jail He Worked at for 11 Years
- Hearing for Former Humboldt Correctional Deputy Accused of Molesting Children Pushed Back Until January
- DA Seeks to File More Sexual Abuse Charges Against Former Cop Charged With Child Molestation
- Denied! Attorney for Former Humboldt Correctional Deputy Accused of Child Molestation Attempts to Have Case Dismissed