From the County of Humboldt:
The County of Humboldt, as Lead Agency, has prepared a Mitigated Negative Declaration (finding of no significant adverse environmental effect) for the Nordic Aquafarms California, LLC – Coastal Development Permit and Special Permit application (Case Number PLN-2020-16698) in accordance with the State California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) Guidelines. This project is located in the Samoa area, east of Vance Avenue, approximately 2,000 feet north from the intersection of Vance Avenue and Bay Street. The project includes redevelopment of the decommissioned Samoa Pulp Mill facility to construct a land-based finfish recirculating aquaculture system (RAS) facility conducted in two phases consisting of five (5) buildings with a combined footprint of 766,530 square feet. The height of the tallest proposed building is 60 feet.
The Humboldt County Planning and Building Department will receive public comments on the proposed Mitigated Negative Declaration from April 23, 2021 to May 24, 2021. Comments may be submitted to the Humboldt County Planning and Building Department, 3015 H Street, Eureka, CA 95501 by May 24, 2021. The draft Mitigated Negative Declaration and Initial Study are available for review at the same location or visit the county’s website.
For more information, please contact Alyssa Suárez, Planner I, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 707-268-3703.
- Massive New Fish Farm in the Works for Samoa Peninsula; Harbor District Expected to Bless Project Helmed by Norwegian Firm at Special Meeting Monday
- Norwegian Fish Farm Says Its Samoa Operations Will Create 80 Jobs, Produce 50 Million Pounds of Salmon or Steelhead Per Year
- Harbor District Agrees to 30-Year Lease for Massive, Land-Based Fish Farm on Samoa Peninsula
- Let’s Take a Closer Look at This Big Fish Farm Proposal for the Samoa Peninsula
- County Agrees to Pursue Infrastructure Funds in Hopes of Landing Fish Farm on Samoa Peninsula
- Due Diligence Complete, Nordic Aquafarms Decides to Move Forward With Aquaculture Facility on the Samoa Peninsula
- Nordic Aquafarms, Which Now Has a Local Office and is Recruiting Employees, Will Host a Community Meeting Tonight
- Nordic Aquafarms Hires Idaho Native as First Cali-Based Exec, Signs Contracts for Permitting, Engineering
- Nordic Aquafarms Terminates Humboldt-Based Exec After Seeing Photo of Him Posing With a Lion He’d Killed
- Nordic Aquafarms Expands Aquaculture Facility Plans, Releases Images Showing What the Fish Farm Would Look Like
- Nordic Aquafarms Submits Discharge Permit Application for Land-Based Fish Farm on Samoa Peninsula
- Nordic Aquafarms Plans to Grow Atlantic Salmon in Land-Based Fish Farm on Former Pulp Mill Property