Eureka attorney Michael Acosta and his partner Sarah Carroll, charged with maintaining a drug house and possession of drugs for sale, have been scheduled for a jury trial in late August.
This morning Judge John Feeney scheduled an Aug. 30 trial for the couple, who were arrested Feb. 4 when Drug Task Force agents raided their home on Cedar Street. The house also serves as Acosta’s law office. Both Acosta and Carroll are out of custody, and Acosta is continuing to practice law locally.
Acosta is representing himself, with attorney Andrea Sullivan representing Carroll. Sullivan, appearing via Zoom this morning, said she has an appointment Friday to review the district attorney’s case file. There are “numerous unknown confidential witnesses,” she said.
Five people were in the home when officers arrived, and all of them had drugs in their possession. Officers removed a small bag of methamphetamine from Acosta’s pants pocket. He told them he must have pocketed the drug when he was picking up trash around the property.
In Acosta’s office, which is upstairs in the residence, agents found 17 grams of heroin, a small quantity of meth and 74 “Xanny bars,” which contain the maximum level of a drug similar to Xanax.
Law enforcement had been monitoring Acosta’s home for months before the bust. At the September preliminary hearing, one agent testified it was common to see up to 25 people a day entering and leaving the residence.
- Eureka Attorney Arrested and Charged in Connection With Illegal Narcotics and Firearms Trafficking, Drug Task Force Says
- Trial of Eureka Man Accused of Sex Trafficking Delayed Due to His Lawyer Being Arrested for Alleged Drugs and Weapons Trafficking
- TODAY in COURT: Sex Trafficking Suspect Gets to Keep Lawyer, Who Faces His Own Criminal Charges; Eureka, Rio Dell Killings Also on Docket
- TODAY in COURT: Last of Manila Murder Plot Defendants Scheduled for August Trial; Hearing Delayed for Eureka Attorney Accused of Drug Trafficking
- TODAY in COURT: Trial Date Set for Man Accused of Stabbing Another Outside Arcata Bar; Latest on Rancher’s Animal Cruelty Retrial, Eureka Attorney Accused of Trafficking
- After Agents Give Details of Raid on Eureka Attorney’s Home, Judge Holds Him and His Partner to Answer on Charges of Maintaining a Drug House